1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acan`s anyone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Nov 20, 2007.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought for sure that someone else would start this ball a rollin.....but here goes.  Nice corals, bad pics.  What can I say.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's see them!

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice acans, Robyn! I see you buy yours in bulk! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif I'll see if I have time later tonight to post some pics.

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robyn its time we take that colony and introduce it to my tile saw.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Too funny Billy!   No peanut saw for you eh?
    I mostly buy or trade frags but I did buy that nice colony in Bloomington from JRE when he had a 10% off sale for clubmembers.  I had to "train" it to open up for food a few nights a week but he's got the hang of it now.
    I really would like to see some other acans and it was a good excuse for another interactive thread!
    BTW, I checked out a couple of books from the library about digital photography

5. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure, I'll play along. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif  Here's most of it, there are a few that were already glued into place so I don't have any pictures of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have some nice stuff in there Sone. I'll take it. Ohh wait, they are not for sale are they.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow Sone, you've got a never ending supply of cool stuff.  Where do you get all these cool coral's?

8. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ha ha ha...not yet Billy. I wish they were big enough to frag though! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Hey Al, all the acans either came from http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ and http://www.fragglereef.com/zen/

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wowza!  

Unbelievable!  You have a most impressive collection there Sone.  I was going to tell you that #4 was my favorite, but then I really like #6, and well.......I really love them all.  They are addicting aren't they?  I would love to see your tank someday.  Drooling is allowed on this site isn't it?

I know there are other people with them in their tanks.  POST!!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just checked those sites out, it's a good thing that I'm in the equipment buying phase at this time.  No one would get any presents this christmas if I had a tank to put coral into.

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Robyn, everything is still real small.  I am excited to see what it will look like in a couple of years.

Al, I hear ya!  Instead of taking it out on everyone's Christmas gifts, I chose not to take any big vacations this year so I could stock my tank. [​IMG]

12. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love reviving old threads! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    [​IMG]

13. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good pic Sone! What are you shootin' with?

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Andy!  I am still learning how to shoot and upgrading equipment as I go.  The body is a Canon 40D with a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens.  I just got a new tripod system so hopefully my pictures will start looking better. [​IMG]  Here's a couple more I took by hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great pictures Sone.

16. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Chris!  Here are a couple more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    your shots are looking great, are you getting these shots from the top down? are you using any auxiliary lighting?

18. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These were taken top down using an Avast Marine Port Hole.  LINK

No auxillary lighting were used, just my tank lighting.  I was able to get the correct exposure even with a slow shutter speed since I had my camera mounted on a tripod with the center column being extended horizontally.

19. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One thing that really works great Sone is using your ISO. Many new point and shoots and especially DSLR's have great ISO, you can really crank it up without getting grainy exposures at all. I usually take a few quick shots with my auto and look at what the sensor is setting things to, then I move over to manual and set up the same settings for aperture and shutter speed. Then I step up the shutter speed, adjust the aperture to get the focal depth desired, and compensate for shorter/smaller exposure lighting with cranking up the ISO. Works great for taking pictures of fish in motion.

Thanks for the link!

20. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, Andy! I usually shoot with an ISO around 200-400 to avoid graininess/noise in the pictures. I haven't done much photography with fish but from what I have read, you definitely need auxillary lighting and shoot with really fast shutter speed. I'll have to do that one of these days...