1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AC3 question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I got the AC3 main unit, now trying to collect the rest of the things I need, I was woundering what the differece between the standard probes and the lab grade.   Is it worth the extra $$ for the lab grade probes. 
    Also I have a MRC Dual Nano cal reactor. I want to have the PH probe in that and don't know how to do that.
    I know this isn't in the buy/sell/trade, but if anyone has anything extra for the AC3 willing to sell let me know. 
    Thanks everyone
    Troy

2. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also I would like to get my 3 MH on the AC3 timer. I was woundering will I need the DC4 Heavy Duty, or will the DC8 work fine.

3. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    http://www.myreefcreations.com/index.php?cPath=32_36&osCsid=27cd34d25b4961bfcbe40142de71d1cb

4. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    use that link above and check out the probe holder T for your MRC calc reactor

I just stick this T on the end of my effluent to measure my ph of effluent.

When I am done, I just remove it. Sometimes days later, sometimes minutes later.

5. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    DC8 should be fine...

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

There are a bunch of posts on the question of lab grade or standard. From what I remember there is not much difference and most everybody goes with standard.

You mentioned having "the" ph probe in your CA Reactor. I am assuming you mean "a" ph probe as you will want a second probe in the reactor. Normally you will want to constantly measure this pH.
    I am asuming 3 - 250's: you will be drawing about 6.25 amps or a little over 2 amps each. Each outlet on the DC8 is rated at 6 amps with a total of 15 amps. The DC4HD is 12 amps each with a max of 15 amps.
    So I guess it comes down to how many thing you want to control other than the lights. At the least you don't want to put all three on one outlet of the DC8. But other than that you can do what ever you want.
    I might also reccomend the Socket Expansion that is rated at 15 amps and doesn't put any load on the DC8 and only costs about $40.

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the input, greatly appreciated

http://www.myreefcreations.com/product_info.php?products_id=224&osCsid=27cd34d25b4961bfcbe40142de71d1cb

Is there any reason I couldn't put this on the effluent hose coming out of the reactor and leave it here to monitor the PH at all times?

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bill will have a better answer for this but I think you want to know the pH of the water coming in as this is how you adjust your CO2 to dissolve the CA. Different types of CA dissolve at different pH's. So my answer would be no.
    Bill?
    P.S. I don't even have my CA RX setup yet as Kalk still maintains CA and ALK.

9. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    yes you can leave it there at all times if you want.

You will need a separate handheld monitor to read the readings, or in lieu of the handheld monitor, a second ph input on your ac3 or extension module.

I only have one ph input on my RK2. So I use that to monitor my tank ph. If the tank ph drops below a certain value (7.9) it shuts off the socket that controls my co2 solenoid, and thus the co2. The Ca Rx stays on and running, but no CO2 enters it, so the effluent ph is virtually the same as the input. (and the tank ph won't lower due to my ca rx) Once the ph raises past a value, it turns the co2 solenoid back on.