1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AC Jr. Modules?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Jul 29, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I just found a great deal on an AC Jr. complete along with some additional appliance modules.  I hate to sound totally dumb, but what exactly are the modules for?  Where do I plug them into and what do I plug into them?  I'm assuming something like my lights etc. but just not sure how it all works together......... somebody help me out /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cry.gif

2. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The modules are X-10 modules. There are switches on them to set them to different radio frequencies. The AC Jr will broadcast a pulse at that freq. to turn the module on or off. They usually work well. Lights, pumps, and most other electronics send out RF waves too and can cause some interference. The lights are usually the worst.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    basically you plug the module into the wall, set its name (1st digit is like a-f, 2nd 1-8?) then plug something you want to control into it. Then you tell the AC Jr what to do with that module by the name you gave it (IE if time >12:00 C3 = ON if you wanted a light you had plugged into a module set to c3 to come on at noon.).

I chose to instead use a dc8 which plugs directly into the AC (although I have a 2 not a jr) and is more reliable/not susceptible to interference when compared with X10's but many people use them...I know Joel has a BUNCH of them....mostly cause I sold him about 10 and he already had a bunch...so they work for some.

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    X10 modules were the cause of Matt the Fiddlers tank crash. I think he had some outside interference that caused things to malfunction.

eins

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so it sounds like the dc 8 and/or dc4 is a better choice............