1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Absolutley fet up with sea of marvels!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phathead, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am sick and tired of this store as the last 10 times I drove there 7 of those times he wasnt even there!  If your going to have a store with hours then be there, yesterday was the last straw for me after wasting gas again and again, I am done, I would rather pay more somewhere else than continue wasting time driving there.  Anyone else seem to have this problem?  At least I recommend to everyone that they call before they go to make sure he is at least open.  Not sure what is going on with him latley but he has been getting worse at this.  Hopefully he changes his work ethic soon as he is a real nice guy and one of my favorite stores to go to.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    He has been like that for the last 10 years that I know of.

One day I was there @ 2:00, there were 3 other cars in the lot waiting as well. I finally left at 2:30.

3. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I guess I have gotten lucky over the years I always try to go around 230 to 300 so I dont run into that problem of him just being late which I can tolerate but the last two times have been really late in the day. 2 weeks ago was at 4 and yesterday was at 530. There were 2 cars yesterday one was from illinios I felt bad for him and the other from polk county. I llive in cedar rapids and I was pissed, I cant imagine how they felt. Im sure they had other places to go but still.

4. ReeferDave

ReeferDave Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That seems odd, yesterday i stopped in and didnt leave there until just after 5 and there was still a couple other customers in there, and he was there plus a couple of his homies. who knows though, that would be annoying if you drove there just for that.  i guess thats why i really only stop if im on my way back from IC or other places.

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I go there all the time because Im in towh to visit family anyway. But about 80% of the time his kids are there and not him and they never know what to charge for stuff. Most of the time I'm just looking so it's not that bad but when I see something I want and they don't know what to charge it is kind of annoying. But Hung is a good guy and after years of going to his shop I would say the best time to catch him there is saterday around 2:30.

6. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've been there once, we were going to CR and decided to drive the extra distance to check it out. Hung wasn't there and his daughters had no idea what to charge on anything. They called him and luckily he was available to talk real quick on the phone(hard to understand) and he priced out a couple things. I wanted to buy a rose bubble tip anemone but his daughters told me they couldn't get it off the rock for me, so I would have to buy all 3 that were on a 1lb rock if I wanted it. Needless to say, I left with nothing.

I think it's unfair that he changes the prices depending on who's buying the stuff though. All his stuff is so high, but then when it's someone he knows he will lower the price for you. It's over an hour to drive down there from Cedar Falls so I'm not a frequent customer, so I have to pay the high prices, which makes me not want to bother... Almost nothing is marked, so if I'm curious on the prices I have to have someone look it up, which is very inconvenient. He does have a lot of unusual stuff though, which is something I definitely like.

7. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Every store i have ever known will alter prices based on the customer. i thinks its fair. if one person drops 500 a month there then they shoudl get a few better deals than the guy who maybe spends a few bucks... the big spenders r keeping that lfs in business, cut those people a break.

We have a store here that u HAVE to see if anyone is around so u can stop by. I guess if u wanna check it out then get Sea of Marvles phone number in ur phone and call before u stop over. its a weird habit to get into, but ive learned u sometimes have to.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    That's true about the price altering I have goten discount's from every store I have frequented. Not just because of being a big spender but because I will leave with nothing if I don't get a deal then come back the next week and do the same over time the shop owner will get tired of you not buying something and start to give you a deal. This in how I softened up Hung a long time ago and now I get sweet deals from him.

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about you try calling the store before you make the trek down there? I've never had a problem with him being there on time, but I can't say I ever time my trips to be there exactly at opening. I usually end up going at 5. Right in the middle of his store hours. Maybe try that next time.

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't get it, if you have gone there that many times and he hasn't been there why don't you start calling before you "waste gas again and again." Why not take you own advice?
    You want a waste of time, drive up here to Waterloo and hit the LFS's, that will give you something to complain about.

11. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As far as deals go I get them as well from hung he is a great guy to do business with just sucks when he isnt there. I think there is nothing wrong with giving one guy a price and the other a different if he is a frequent buyer but there should be a system to it say a percentage off not just some random number. Plenty of times he will say one price and be totally different when you ask him again. Come on admit it I am not the only one that takes advantage of this buy asking prices on different days LOL.

12. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    without a doubt! i once went to aqua pets for a rose.... first week it was $30, next week it was $65, a week later it was $120. funny... sometimes it works in ur favor, other times, not so much!!

u all need to get down here in omaha and go to Ruff Waters. they have the healthiest primeium corals in the are at a respectable price.... but u must call in advance...

13. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    awww yes ruff is the bomb,but you only have to call if its mon-fri.....sat they are open to the public and the first sat of every month they have lunch.as for sea of marvels ive been there no one was there so i left.the only reason i stopped back is because i was headed back out of town.if you have posted hours you should stick to them its only good business.or change your hours and stick to that.

14. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    The thing is a big part of his business is tank maintance so he is off doing that partof the time. It would be wise of him to work out a better schedule and hire a paid employee because his kids just goof off when they are there.

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    lol... I've noticed that too. Hung is always happy to help you, but his kids never seem that motivated...

16. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    LOL yeah I feel bad for you Ive been there a couple of times not much there. Normally I dont call cause I am going to Iowa City anyway for other stores but I should prbably start doing that. As far as going there right when they open I normally go in between 3-5 I know better than to go right at 2.