1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

? about curing LR that has been sitting for a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am trying to help a friend who was affected by the flood.  His tank never got any flood water in it, however his rock has been sitting since then with no water.  I am wanting to cure it for him but not sure what to do?  I can set it in my tank one piece at a time and watch my perameters.   I also thought about boiling  the rock first to make sure any bad bacteria is gone then add it to my tank piece by piece.  I am not sure what would be the best way to cure live rock that is dead.   Any suggestions or opinions?                               thank you for your help            Troy

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just stick it in a bit rubbermaid tub with a powerhead and a heater and do a water change every few days. Depending on the amount of dead stuff on the rock, it might take a while to cure. Most of the rock in my tank was in a similar condition when I got it. It took about 6 weeks to cure.

-JB

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    After his is all cured then drop a few pieces of yours in with it. The bacteria from your LR will seed his dead rock.