1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

A New Reefing Chapter Begins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Dec 22, 2011.

1. FlyingMoray Experienced Reefkeeper

Minburn, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good choice using the gutter guard in the overflow. I also snipped mine when I set it up and quickly had fish in the overflow so I had to add that to mine.

2. Craig

Craig Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just curious on the size of the intake and return bulkheads in the DD tank. Working on a 220RR and trying to decide how I want to do the sump setup.

Craig

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Standard it comes drilled for 1" bulkheads. Marineland will do custom orders on their tanks though.

4. Craig

Craig Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks, trying to figure out if I will get enough flow out of my 1" bulkheads in my 220 RR for my mag 24 or if I will need to do something similar here and use teh return bulkheads to help compensate. It has 1" bulkheads but 1.5" Durso Stand pipe and will be plumbed 1.5" from tank to sump on dual intakes so only about 3" will have the restricted 1" diameter.

Craig

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a small update on the tank.  My tank has been cycling for nearly a week now and in the meantime, I have been working on fine tuning the drains, finding the evaporation rate of the system and redoing the aquascape of the tank.  Below are some pics of it.
    From the left side[​IMG]
    From the center[​IMG]
    From the right side[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the in-tank flow, two outputs from the return pump and two MP60s.  I have them in the tidal swell mode at full power right now and the sand is staying put so that makes me happy![​IMG][​IMG]
    Next up is to put in the skimmer.  Other than that, it's ready to rock!

6. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I think you're smart to not make the rock work to tall so your corals have plenty of space to grow.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Very nice. That aquascape looks good so far. Can't wait to see it loaded with coral.

8. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Holy cow, I had to go back 11 pages to find my thread!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif  It just shows you how active the members are and how badly I needed to update my thread.  Since my last update, I moved the MP60s to the right side of the tank to create an anti-sync effect with the flow from the return instead of splitting up the MP60s to one on each side.  So far, I like the flow and I think I will keep it this way until I can think of something else to try.
    As far as updates go, I don't have a bunch.  I finally got around to installing my skimmer a few weeks ago.  It took over a week to break in before it would stop overflowing but now its working nicely.  It's an ATB 1050A V1.5.  Air draw is 1500 L/HR and it is rated up to 480 gallons.[​IMG]
    The next thing I worked on was the background.  I really racked my brains on this one because I wanted something easy to use and looked solid black from the front.  At first, I was thinking of a standard background for aquariums that sticks on there with the adhesive and soapy water.  Then I was thinking of a big piece of black acrylic to go on the back.  But then I started thinking of how to keep the piece of acrylic attached and I couldn't really think of any solid solutions for it.  So I decided to use a thick piece of fabric hung on 3M plastic hooks.  I had to modify them slightly due to the size but the hooks worked out great.  All I had to do was cut a little slit into the fabric and I was able to hang it within seconds.  And it's just as easy to take it on and off.  It truly is a one-handed operation! [​IMG]
    Now I can easily access the back of the tank and work back there because I can see everything.[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the tank from the fish room side.  Everything is now tucked away.  The energy bars and controller are mounted on the side of the stand for easy access.  I also didn't have anywhere to put the ballasts so they are just sitting off to the right side of the stand.[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the sump.  I have everything hooked up sans the kalk reactor.  I haven't put it online yet because I don't have anything up that is using up the calcium beyond what a water change can replenish.[​IMG]
    My tank cycled faster than I thought.  After 3 weeks, the ammonia and nitrite levels were down to zero.  Initially, I was going to wait to stock it after I got back from vacation (March 25th) but I didn't want to wait that long.  I added some fish to the tank and also added a few of my old corals back in.  So far everything is doing well so I will start stocking the tank with more corals and fish after I get back.  Here's a quick video of the display.  

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Sweet! I guess I can stop fretting about how to do that acrylic cover also. Your solution is much simpler and easier.

10. Foo

Foo Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How come i never get a ATB Bud Light when i visit?

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bud! If I didn't think of the fabric solution, I definitely would have gone with something from you. I had my measurements ready and was close to PMing you about it.

Tim, I always thought you were a recovering alcoholic so I didn't want to get you off the wagon. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

12. Reeferforlyfe

Reeferforlyfe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol. Nice tank mang

13. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    any new updates

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I don't have much to update. Most of my fish died when I went on vacation. One of the new fish I bought had ich so it spread and killed the others. It's my fault for not having a QT to acclimate the new fish. I will update later once I have more things to update. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

15. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    bummer i had that happen to me once when i went on vaction too

16. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great thread and beautiful tank. Really like the concept. The next house I build will definitely have a layout conducive to me have a in wall set up.

17. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    BUMP!! Had to dig way back for this thread. What's new?

18. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yeah sone you still alive?

19. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I am still here! I haven't done anything with the tank all summer. I still have one yellow tang in the tank that has ick. I need to get him out of the tank but that's been next to impossible. It's been a busy summer but I'll get my head back in the game this fall.

Instead of working on the tank, I have been focusing on other things around the house. We recently replaced our 3-year old dishwasher, put in a Backyard Adventures wooden play set for the kids and upgraded a queen-sized bed to a king. I still need to replace the bed frame as well.

20. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    you have any updates