1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

A New Reefing Chapter Begins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slovan, Dec 22, 2011.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, it's been awhile! I apologize for being away from my thread for so long. My tank has been on cruise control all summer and I am finally getting back into the swing of things like doing regular water changes. I started adding some corals but nothing too crazy yet. Tank is well established and stable now.

I am also going to use ozone in this setup. Does anyone else here use it? Any advice to give? I am getting an Ozotech unit with a BRS air dryer and Coralife air pump. Instead of sending the effluent into my skimmer, I am going to get an Avast Marine ozone reactor that will then feed into the carbon reactor before going back into the sump. ORP readings will be monitored by the Apex. I'll take some pics after I get it all set up. I know, another boring update without pics! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

2. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I have the same setup only problem is the air pump is not powerful enough. so I took it off line until I can find a more powerful air pump

3. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I am using ozone with great success. I have the exact setup you are proposing. Except that I use a ozotech air dryer.

I had problems with my air delivery as well. I do think the Luft pump is your best bet. I am on my second unit......the first one just died. I think it was because it was fighting a clogged check valve. Basically I have found that the achilles heel of this setup is the check valve between the ozone generator and the reactor. Over time it gets clogged with sticky nitric acid residue so I check it out once a month. I bought 20 kynar check valves from Avast (super cheap, almost 900% cheaper than everywhere else) so I don't feel so bad about throwing away questionable check valves.

If the check valve stays clogged the ozone generator can also back up with nitric acid residue. Fortunately that is an easy fix....just run hot water through the ozone generating tube.

As long as the system stays clean and clear I have had zero problems and super clear water. (does not really fight glass algae)

You do have to change your air dryer media about every 10 days which is super easy. I ordered about 5x the amount of dessicant I need at any given time. That way I can do a quick change and dry dessicant is always available. Then about once every couple months I bake all my spent dessicant in the oven for two hours to dry it out.

4. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Matt, which air pump are you using?

How about you Jim, which air pump are you using? I am getting the Coralife luft air pump (SL-65). It has an output pressure of 3.9 psi. I believe most ozone reactors are ran ~3 psi so I hope it will work. Also, where did you get your desiccant from? Do you use BRS or something else?

5. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm using the Luft Pump and have it turned up to 11.

I use the BRS dessicant.

6. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I used the lift pump also.
    Jim I am I reading this right. you run hot water through the ozone generator to clean it out. So you run hot water in the air input and it comes out the out put and the water doesn't hurt the generator?

7. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Matt, the way I interpret it is that he runs hot water through the output tube and not the generator itself.

8. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Actually I take apart the ozone generator, disconnect the 0zone generating metal tube from the motherboard, run hot water through that. In my case Nitric acid built up in the tube and clogged it. Then I hooked it back up and blew air (luft pump) through it for a few days to dry it out. Then once dry I turned the power back on.

I learned this from the Ozotech tech guy. I thought my ozone generator died when it wasn't producing smellable gas. Turns out it was clogged....tech told me it was common if water enters the generator somehow. I think my check valve clogged, air built up in the generator, the air dryer quit drying air and moisture built up in the machine, forming nitric acid and clogging the ozone discharge.

9. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Jim! Sounds like ozone is a maintenance nightmare! I am starting to think it's not for me! Lol

10. PotRoast

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Actually I am just stessing all the bad points I experienced over the last three years. Generally speaking it is plug and play and forget. To summarize, make sure your check valve works and you won't have any issues.

11. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oooh. I hates extra maintenance. Of course, I now have no maintenance.

12. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I heard you and Mary got out a few months ago. Sorry to hear! Any chance of getting back into it again someday?

13. iaJim

iaJim Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not right now. I do miss it a bit though.

14. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I hear ya. You guys probably won't miss it this winter though! One less thing to worry about!

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yeah I'm not sure its worth the extra hassle anymore either cause I didn't see any difference in my tank when I took it off line and I'm not sure its worth spending another $60 on a new pump

16. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Matt! You are making me really excited to drop a bunch of money to try this out! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sick.gif

17. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Bumping this one for an update.

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Let's see some pics man!

19. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi all, sorry I have neglected this thread for so long! I guess you could say I have been taking an extended break but I still have my tank running. It became increasingly difficult to keep it up after the birth of our son a few years ago so time has been a premium. But my biggest battle has been dealing with ick. I had my tank fully stocked twice and at the end of both stockings, my fish would get ick and then I would have a massive die off. After losing the battle twice, I lost interest so that is probably the biggest factor in why I haven't been keeping it up. It's been nearly a year since my last stocking and the fish that are left haven't exhibited any signs of ick after the others died. I need to do my part by being responsible and putting ALL new fish in quarantine but I just haven't had the desire to set one up yet. So until then, no fish.

In order to restart my tank, I will need to get a new cleanup crew and start regular water changes again. Believe it or not, I haven't changed my water since Spring Fest so I guess I'm coming up on a year. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif The weird thing is my tank has been doing ok so I'm starting to see how some tanks can go without water changes. I don't have a large bioload and I haven't been feeding as much as I used to so I suppose that helps too. Anyway I will have to clean up the tank and get it back into shape. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share soon!

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Sweet!