1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

a cup of sand

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by seanndenise1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    anybody with a established sand bed want to part with a cup of sand? i would like to add it to my tank for a little diversity.
    also anyone here in the qc have a extra magnesium test kit they want to part with?
    ive tried everywhere to locate one and dont want to pay shipping for just a test kit
    but will if i have too i guess.
    i called AE yesterday or saturday and he said he doesnt test for it, i told him why i need one, it ended up with me  telling him to read the reef chemistry forum on reef central.
    but he did try and sell me some sort of crap thats really good for growing carraline, 32 bucks a bottle.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

adam hads a nice pet store been doing reef for many many years a lot longer than we have if he says u dont need it u dont need it he hads thousands of dollars in corals and fish som said he dont test for it and his pet store i well know he had many many many thousands in coral dont all ways belive what u hear thair are a lot of pepol on hear that do things diffret than others ever ones way is thay right every time u ask some one some thing u will get a diffrent anser  i have a cup of of live sand u can have shawn u can buy a 5 pound bag of live sand at petsmart for 8.99 if u need a lot i can give u a cup of it if u need it or 2 let me know thanks

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should test for magnesium if you are running a reef tank. It should be around 3 times as high as your calcium (1200-1300 is normal in my tank).
    Have Adam at AE order one for you. His prices are a little higher for just one item like that, but you save shipping. If you find you levels are low you can supplement for it. He can also order you a bottle of magnesium supplement.
    I am by no means the resident expert, but I would strongly urge you to test for anything you supplement your tank with. If you can not test for it I would suggest you consider not adding it. Magnesium in particular is very important for coral growth and also assists in maintaing a stable ph and alkalinity. 
    Billy 

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 11/26/2007 12:47 PM
    You should test for magnesium if you are running a reef tank. It should be around 3 times as high as your calcium (1200-1300 is normal in my tank).
    Have Adam at AE order one for you. His prices are a little higher for just one item like that, but you save shipping. If you find you levels are low you can supplement for it. He can also order you a bottle of magnesium supplement.
    I am by no means the resident expert, but I would strongly urge you to test for anything you supplement your tank with. If you can not test for it I would suggest you consider not adding it. Magnesium in particular is very important for coral growth and also assists in maintaing a stable ph and alkalinity. 
    Billy 
    Strongly agree.  
    Sean - If you want to place an order let me know, I need one as well,  I'll share the cost's with you.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im not testing for it and my corals are doing great and spreding fast but like i saifd teach its own if some one wants to test for it then go for it im not goin gto buy a bunch of test kits that i dont need im taken adams word for it he owns a pet store and i had reef befor and never tested water all i feed is calcium iodine strontuim molybdeenum

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Billy 
    i went in on the 2 part solution buy that waverz ran and one of the parts is magnesium
    so yeah i thought it was a good idea to get a test kit,LOL.
    i was given a link to the two part solution recipe by randy holmes farly, and started reading about magnesium and its importance to the reef aquarium.
    i have been spending quite a bit of time in the reef chemistry forums, theres quite a bit of info in there, its kind of duanting after you start reading and realize how much you have to learn about owning a reef.
    im kinda glad i dont have a tank full of corals at this point, im gonna get me a test kit and get my mag up to the suggested levels just to get some good coraline growth going.
    the way i figure it, if i cant grow corraline i have no buisness trying corals.
    im in no hurry, besides the next frag swap is at least a few months away.

7. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 11/26/2007 1:18 PM

Billy 
    Strongly agree.  
    Sean - If you want to place an order let me know, I need one as well,  I'll share the cost's with you.
    go ahead and order em, i can run you the cash whenever you want. im in bettendorf.

8. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Keith

I am glad your corals are doing well, The advise offered here is not the law, however, the total ADVANCED reef experience that you have here with the people in this club far exceeds the knowledge of Adam or most anyone in this hobby.
    The people here who are making the suggestion to test your magnesium have no gain whether you test it or not, they are simply trying to help you through their experience and knowledge. As a whole the clubs greater interest is the good of everyones tanks.
    Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are 3 of the most important things to monitor in a reef tank. Every great reef tank I ever have seen has had those 3 elements in balance with each other. Adam is a great source....but I think you might be underestimating the experience and knowledge of the people here in our club.

I wish you and your tank the best...and if I can ever help you out, just give me a shout.

eins

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 11/26/2007 6:28 PM

Posted By Atram on 11/26/2007 1:18 PM

Billy 
    Strongly agree.  
    go ahead and order em, i can run you the cash whenever you want. im in bettendorf.
    I'll get to it soon, got to check the finances.  I'm in bettendorf as well.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how much is a test kit and a 2 part ? and wher do i get it ill do this right and slow down and take my time i

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Keith

The mag test kit is a little higher then most test kits, but should last you for quite awhile. The salifert kit was around $30.
    Depending on what you are doing with your tank there are a lot of avenues to maintain levels of calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I use a calcium reactor, kalwasser, and magnesium supplements (Kent Marine Tech-M)to keep my levels where I want them to be, but I keep them on the high end to encourage coral growth.
    Like Bill said, keep in mind that none of us are trying to tell you how to manage your tank, we are just passing on information along which we have usually gained the hard way.
    If you need to wait to purchase but want to check your levels let me know. I can bring my kit in to town and test it for you.
    Billy

12. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeaah keith

if in the future you want to try the two part solution i have a ton of it, you can have some when we get some test kits to properly dose it.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is the thing my uncel owns a water factory so i can get any thing to test water any test kits i can get uv lights any thing for water what  test kits do i need to have him order for me i have the master one that tests ph kh gh nitrite ammonia carbon dioxide and i have a seprat one that test calcium. ps. how do i pay my member ship thanks so mcuh keith and yes if sme one couls come test my water ill psy some one that would be great

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just tested all my  water that i can test for ever this is good my calcium is only at 430 dont it have to be 440? wher can i buy that 2 part i want to grow that coraline alage corline i do have on rock is dieing off

15. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    400 to 450 is fine.

keep it above 380 at the lowest.

16. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By keith on 11/26/2007 10:55 PM
    this is the thing my uncel owns a water factory so i can get any thing to test water any test kits i can get uv lights any thing for water what  test kits do i need to have him order for me i have the master one that tests ph kh gh nitrite ammonia carbon dioxide and i have a seprat one that test calcium. ps. how do i pay my member ship thanks so mcuh keith and yes if sme one couls come test my water ill psy some one that would be great
    I will be around town most nights this week if you want me to drop by and test your water. Let me know and I will bring in my test kits.
    I test regularly for nitrate, phosphate, ph, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesiium. I test occasionally for silicates, copper if something looks odd, ammonia and nitrite if I have made any major changes in the tank or if something has died.
    I am tied up tonight and possibly tomorrow night, but if you want I can drop by probably Thursday night to test your stuff for you.
    On gaining membership, there is a link above under "About GIRS" with the membership form.
    Billy

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I could use a cup of established sand as well.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    al i have live sand i can give ya out of my sump if u need it you gave me cheato so i owe u one