1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? 90g Stocking Potential

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StormyMoe, Sep 23, 2017.

1. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    This afternoon I went out to the local shops looking for some fish but couldn't find any of what I was looking for, but in talking with a couple of people I'm wondering if I need to make a decision when it comes to my stocking list.

90g tank
    Currently have: 2 Ocellaris clowns, 3 Blue/green chromis, 1 Orchid dottyback
    Want to add: 3 Bartlett's anthias and 1 One-spot foxface

In doing some reading it sounds like the skimmer can play a part in stocking and I'm running a ReefOctopus 152-S with the specs saying it can handle a 90g with a heavy bio-load. What I heard today is I should choose between the anthias and the foxface but not do both in order to stick with a 3" of fish per gallon rule. Can I get some other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Pic of 45g QT with the chromis and dottyback just for fun.

Attached Files:

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I think you will be fine with your choices. The skimmer you have is more than capable of handling your bio load. I had that skimmer and it performed amazingly well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Did you mean 3 gallons per inch? IMO what it comes down to is the filtration and compatibility more than a rule of thumb. But those are good guidelines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I agree with Roman. I think your stocking list is reasonable for that tank.

5. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yep that's what I meant!

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Agree with the others that you should be fine with adding a trio of anthias and a foxface. Assuming that these are normal dimensions on your 90g and not a cube or something.

7. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yep it's a standard 90!

Yesterday when I was checking out the local shops one of them had a one spot foxface and, while I couldn't see the spot, they assured me it was because it was camouflaged and we just couldn't see the spot because of it. After getting replies on this post and a bit more research on stocking I went back this afternoon and picked it up. Got it home and into QT where it is doing really well, but there is still no spot even though it isn't camouflaged anymore (see pic).

I think what I have is a standard foxface (siganus vulpinus) and not a one-spot (siganus unimaculatus). This doesn't really bother me aside from the fact it seems like my 90g will be too small for the standard (125g seems to be minimum) where it would have been enough for the one-spot(75g minimum). I'm wondering if I need to return this fish so it can have a bigger tank, suggestions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  8. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
  9. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    It does actually! Thanks :)

I have been doing a lot of research last night and again this morning and have found people on both sides but it seems like most people think it'll be fine. This morning I even went so far as to call BRS and they agreed he'll be alright especially given my rockwork is centered in the tank so he could swim circles around it. Plus he will by far be the largest fish in the tank.

LiveAquaria is where I was getting the 125 minimum but I too was confused why a 1" difference in max size between the species allowed one to be ok in a 4' tank while the other needs 6'.