1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 19, 2012.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Ok, so I've diagrammed (on paper) a manifold. I'm not sure yet how it will be supported. Is there a recommended stand/support that I can clip to the rim of the tank or just set it on the tank? (Maybe with some padding between the two). Also, I had an idea that I'm not sure if it's a good idea or stupid. What if I ran a filter sock off the manifold and just had it dump water into the return chamber? So, my filter sock would be in the return. This would allow me the space to run the sock without further limiting my return chamber (when I ran it with my skimmer, the return chamber got quite a bit smaller). Because the pump doesn't take up as much room, it should be easy to stuff the filter sock in there. Additionally, I can shut off that flow and just not run a filter sock if I decided not to. I do have a reactor that might be nice to run off the system (though it came with a pump that I could use as well).

The red and green lights would actually be about 2' apart. The sizing of the colors on the diagram is way off, if it was to scale, you couldn't see the colors.

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0

I think you'd have problems with microbubbles if you try to run water through a filter sock and dumping into the return area of the sump. Idealy you want the sock right on the drain so that all the crud doesn't make it into the sump to begin with.

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Yeah I know, I'm just trying to figure out a way for it all to fit. I ordered a filter sock holder so maybe I can find a place for it to fit. I don't mind vacuuming the bare bottom every now and again.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Ready for trim... I have the baffles being cut and I'm "dry fitting" the plumbing. I have the drain side ready. I think I'm going to try to minimize the plumbing set up as there really isn't a ton of room in the stand. Somewhat shocking how tall the sump is. Oh well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The in stand fans are also mounted up and fully functional.

5. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Expected a bit more interest lol.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I cut out these pieces myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This bubble trap region looks kind of like it's not parallel, but it is. Must be the silicone or something.

Water test tomorrow.

6. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I would say looks good, but I tried the notch at top of my baffle and I didn't like it. Strait cut is much better and I cut mine off after practice run. Remember when you get it all together hook it up with water in it and pump and see how you like the flow. I notice right away with the notch that it didn't flow as well and things will get caught and clog there too so I took it out and cut it strait across.

7. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I did that for the fuge section, as it's supposed to keep algae in better. I figure worst case scenario... it'll flow over the top as if I hadn't cut it.

8. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    It's been crickets in here. Anyway, some more progress. The 80/20 I ordered was around 1.5" too long to fit in the canopy without binding up on either the front doors or the back fans... so we had to fix that.
    [​IMG]
    Fixed...
    [​IMG]
    Cut with a plywood blade on a circular saw (mounted backwards). Lots of lube.
    Then some rough assembly:
    [​IMG]
    This frame will hold the two multichip pendants directly and will hold smaller frames for the supplemental lighting. The positions of the rails will change as I decide exactly where to mount the multichips and what not.
    What it'll look like in the canopy:
    [​IMG]
    From above.
    [​IMG]
    The top will have a cover. I hate light spill. I may make it just a "drop on" cover so I can remove it if needed.

Spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted to do trim work. My main dilemma was that because I left the front so open, with the doors... a full column set (2 vertical risers with a gap in between) would result in very thin vertical pieces. To me, this wouldn't look that great (columns are supposed to be strong, right?). So, I decided to use a 1"x4" strip of finish walnut to create the main body of the column. This presented another problem... the corner of the stand would be exposed, leaving an unfinished edge. To counter this, I got some edging and said... I'll work around it.
    [​IMG]
    I'm still working on solving the issue of how to get around the corner bump out. I think I'm going to go with an angled piece, which would also help prevent sharp corners on the top that could suck to bump into. This will give it a "cut off" corner. This is the trimwork so far, just set into place... and this picture is actually an oak stand in. I'll be using this oak as the top rail or cap piece for the crown moulding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of fun decisions to make soon. I found some gorgeous walnut to use for the columns and I'll be routering the edges to make it nice and attractive.

9. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    So... got to playing some more and changed up things a little again. I will admit, some of these cuts are not quite as easy as they might seem.
    [​IMG]
    Dry fit to bottom of column.
    I believe the first set of trim I put together will be the top... This helps me get any minor mistakes out of the way before moving to the bottom trim seems which are completely open (not covered by oak trim board).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I do have the oak trim board (the cap piece) about 3-4 pieces behind the crown moulding set here. My goal is to match the oak piece to the crown *perfectly* so I need to finish the crown part before I can match the oak to it. Also haven't decided exactly how high up I want to mount it. If I mount it high enough to completely cover the black trim of the tank... it doesn't leave much trim on the stand for attachment, and it's a heavy piece. As a result, I may leave a little black trim layer (which is completely fine by me).
    I should mention, the vertical walnut pieces are routered and attached. Some of the wood is stained, some is not (was testing to see what side I liked the coloring on better). My goal is to have the stand (maybe not the canopy) done and stained by next weekend so my brother can help me move the mammoth inside.

10. rgreene

rgreene

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    looking good

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Just a teaser.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    I should mention, the vertical pieces haven't been stained yet. The right one does have a preliminary coat on.

13. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking Great. Lot of attention to detail going into this, I like to see that. As tempting as it gets to get water flowing you seem to be taking your time and planning everything out. Can't wait to see the finished product. Wish I had those cutting skills.

14. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Just getting some stuff together... like rock scape and all that. Also, full of salt water now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to finish the trim work with the tank wet since we still have to cycle and I'll have the time. Additionally, power supply for the main LEDs should be in tomorrow. 200W of 14k LED multichips.

15. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Been awhile since I added pics...

[​IMG]

I've got some livestock in there now, but this thread seems to have died.

16. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Linky no worky...

17. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Here's a direct link... you'll have to do some work with it though.
    http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/brianpinneyphotography/20130623_135934.jpg

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Coming along very nicely. Always nice to see all the planning that goes into building a solid setup.

19. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    Hopefully this works... this is how I plan to string the LEDs.
    [​IMG]

20. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    So, got the Tunze ATO set up... and then ran all the lines once my 32 Gallon Brute can came in. I also have the matching lid.
    [​IMG]
    Drilled a pair of holes in it along with rubber grommets... tight fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also grommeted the entry into the stand.
    [​IMG]