1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

75 gallon-The beginning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoodGreef, Feb 24, 2014.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Updated tank shot. Things have turned for the better and getting some decent growth following a series of unfortunate events from November last year until March.

20160828_205637.jpg

2. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

20161009_195301.jpg

Things still going well. Having to keep on top of 2 part dosing adjustment as the growth is changing the needs weekly.

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Tank is doing ok except for the green birdsnest up top. It might come back but its 2/3 dead, had them this far before and completely recover so we will see. Every winter I have some ridiculous issue that causes die off in the tank. I had a finnex thermostat fail while on vacation and my backup heater thermostat wasnt calibrated properly so the temperature stayed around 76 for a couple days. That doesn't sound too low but I normally run at a steady 80 so the change was enough to make stupid corals like green birdnests freak out. Yes they're stupid. The paradise birds nest on the right is actually doing well despite looking pale, the top sides are green and it is growing well. Maybe a sign I need t-5 supplements. I'm already thinking of what I can put top center to replace that birds nest. Also I think this bubble tip needs to go soon or I need a bigger tank.

16722548_10100463242161131_2495600333737369491_o.jpg

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Looks good!

5. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    A top down view of the purple pocillopora I think I got from Jeanette Becker as a small frag, now softball size Also the cali tort I got from her that has filled out and gotten taller. Its sprouted about double the number of tips it had when I got it.

20170228_223548.jpg

6. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Also a red digitata with blue polyps I think I got from her as well. It has spread out quite a bit.

20170228_225054.jpg
    Hard to get a good picture until i find the right gel filter but its much more red than orange and the polyps are more visible.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's awesome, wife's favorite color...once I finally pull the trigger on my 120 tear-down and 75 boot-up, I'm gonna have to mark this one down for my want list....

8. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    So my tank is surviving. Apparently inside my gyre pump the wires were exposed so with time corals nearby have stopped growing and some tissue loss. I wondered why my flame hawk stopped perching on top of it. So I messed with cord while cleaning it after reading about the cracked cord issue. Sure enough it was and some copper exposed. That's what I get for buying name brand. Then the replacement motor I ordered had bad crazing on the cord near the casing. So I have to send that back. Good thing I have my trusty never fail Jebaos to keep the flow while the other name brand Chinese company tries to get it right.

Anyway, I'm switching to the Triton method and have it all set up dosing the recommended start amount. Just waiting on my test results to come back to determine specific dosing levels.

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear about the gyre. I'm partial to the Vortec's. The Jabeo's are nice with the cheap price and they can be thrown out, then replaced. I just don't support them stealing others inventions.
    Let us know when you get the Triton test results! Im very interested to hear your results! Are you going with the Core 7 other method, or strictly with Triton?

10. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man, I'm just piecing together all the goodies for my 75, kinda was debating on a gyre. Now I'm not! I'll stick with vortech and pay the price, much to the chagrin of my soon-to-be wife. She doesn't know the cost! Lol lets see a FTS though!! Bud, what are you doing???

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay it's only the older Gyres that had this issue.

FWIW, I got one of the first batch of Gyres when they originally went up on BRS. There was as issue that some people had with the control module right off the bat. I don't think I was having it, but they replaced mine no charge, free shipping. Then when the issue started to pop up with the power cord kinking (this was because the stand-offs were too short, causing the cable to have to bend in too tight of a radius) they offered free replacements for the motor. I actually missed the window where they were offering that but contacted them anyways and ordered the bigger stand-offs with better vibration/sound deadening, and they sent me a free motor replacement, no questions asked.

Their service is fantastic, my gyre is still running perfect.

The new ones I believe come with a more hardened impeller, I think they made the fins thicker and reduce the number, which increased the flow output. I think they modded the cages too.

12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah the gyre is still good and Id buy it again but Im fine with a Chinese company stealing from another Chinese company. Not my money haha. I was annoyed at receiving a replacement with a damaged cord though. Im dosing Core7. Im waiting for my alk to drop below 8dkh in about a week then will start dosing it. Got a new Jebao doser set up and the bottles ready to go. I did a triton test a year or so ago so I can see where things have changed since.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  13. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I've got my new doser set up and Core7 ready to go. Lithium is high as expected from Reef Crystals. I'm going to do som\e small water changes over a month with the Aquacraft Marinemix I've had sitting around and get it down as well as my Calcium and Alk before I start dosing. My Alk is at 9.4 dKH currently. The iodine and Silicone are probably just testing aberrations from what I've read by Randy on R2R. I don't dose either of them. Tin is a little high, not sure what that's from. Maybe the metal exposed in the gyre wiring? Not sure. I did a triton test about a year ago and it was barely measureable. Possibly from the doser I had above the sump that rusted and was perhaps leeching tin from condensation dripping down. My alk should be low enough in a couple days so I'll start small dosing all but calcium as that will probably take a week or so to get to 440ppm. I think my doser was uncalibrated and damaged that caused the high alk/cal/mag and haven't been testing but every 2 months as things have been really stable until recently. My Triton results HERE.

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the update and info. I'll look soon at your results. High Lithium tends to be a norm here in the US according to what Triton has been finding in our/US water tests. They have no idea why that is happening currently.

Do you have a refugium? I see you have an algae scrubber.

15. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I don't run any nutrient reduction except for a skimmer and algae scrubber. I run carbon for about 2 weeks every couple months.

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Ok, so you are using the Core 7 other method additives. The Triton method uses various algaes, like chaeto, etc. I just wanted to be clear in my mind on your method:) I'll be interested in how everything goes with your reef. Im happy to see that it is tirning around for the better;) thanks for letting me see your wayer test results too! :)

17. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I was advised by Unique Corals to use the regular triton Core7 as I was using an algae scrubber. Basically the Triton is identical to the Other Methods bottles except for bottle 1. The Other Methods bottle has less nutrients for algae, but as it is beneficial to a scrubber as well the Triton method is fine. I guess I'll find out if that's true when everything is nuked or not. :roflmao:

18. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Indeed you will find out! Just wondering, what are your nitrate and phosphate is running at now? It does make sense to run a higher nutrient load for an algae scrubber as compared to a refugium, as long as the algae scrubber maintains sufficient growth/nutrient export. You just want to make sure that you can maintain some phosphate and nitrate;). I'll be watching! If you cannot keep the nutrient(s) within range, let me know as I can help. Good luck and keep your updates and pics coming! If you're going to FallFest, stop by so we can meet and chat!:D

19. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    From your test results above, our commonalities are the lower bromine, sulfur, vanadium and manganese.

I'd appreciate knowing when your recent test results are available. Thanks for keeping the thread updated:D

20. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    If anyone was wondering how long my tank can last without power. The answer is at least 11 hours. Through an address mistake MidAmerican shut off my power without notice yesterday morning after I left for work, and I got home and it took them several hours to come back out and turn it on. Everything lived but I expect some corals may die off over the next couple days.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 2
    • List