1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

75 gallon-The beginning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoodGreef, Feb 24, 2014.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

So I've had this coral for about 2 weeks. It is green but my lighting and camera distort it as this color. The seller didn't know much about it but thought it was a millepora. It has little circular polyps. Most extended millepora I see look hairy. Should these polyps be coming out further if it is placed properly?

[​IMG]

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Give it time. Sometimes it takes acros a while to adjust to parameters and lighting differences. Looks like they are starting to come out. Did you dip it and check for pests? And sometimes fish will nip at the polops not causing any damage but resulting in little to no extension at all. Especially angel fish.

3. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah dipped it first. Dont have any potential sps nippers like angels. Ill wait and see how it progresses.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Good deal. Sometimes it just takes a while for them to settle in. Nice lookin peice.

5. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

My final addition to the tank for fish, for now. I plan on getting a blue spot jawfish down the road after the tank has been up around a year. I also have some of those gel filters on the way so I can get some better pictures hopefully.

[​IMG]

6. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

So I picked up some of the gel filters. There are two or three I think that get it close to how it really looks. Here is a full shot and then of the Midas.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

Picked up a Melanarus Wrasse at Iowa Pet. He is doing well and he and my bristletooth tang like to swim around everywhere together.

[​IMG]

8. walker1

walker1 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    That is my favorite wrasse they are very active and do a very good job keeping pest under control looks like you have a male by the vibrant coloring the females aren't as colorful.

9. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I've sold off some fish that weren't working out tempermentally with each other. Updated stock is:

Yellow Coris Wrasse, Two Spot Bristletooth tang (Blue eyed Kole), Flame hawkfish, Percula clown, Blue Chromis, Royal Gramma, Melanarus Wrasse. Unless the melanarus starts acting mean this will be the final stock list, though I am not sold on the clown. Clowns kind of seem boring to me, especially when they don't want to host. I am considering adding a blue spot jawfish in a few months once I am more confident my tank won't have a meltdown.

My invert stock is:

Rainbow bubbletip, red rockflower nem, 6 inch tip to tip striped brittle star, pom pom crab, tiger conch, and of course various hermits and snail cleanup crew. My maxima clam didn't pull through. The one spot foxface I sold off ripped his foot out and that was the end.

10. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

Yes I really like my yellow coris wrasse as well. They both scour the tank eating little creatures. They also both love nori which I thought was odd. My yellow has been eating it for months and then the melanarus starting going at it today too. My only concern is that some people have said certain melanarus can acquire a taste for clam and go beyond checking it for pyramid snails. I want to eventually add a maxima clam back to the tank so I guess I'll find out then.

11. walker1

walker1 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I had 3 clams at the time and never had a issue. Your tank is looking good

12. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

Thanks. I hope I have the same luck with this guy. I was definitely wanting a melanarus or christmas wrasse.

13. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

An updated full tank shot.

[​IMG]

14. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    An updated video showing the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021
  15. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

My clown has after 3 months decided to host my bubble tip. I guess my flame hawk can be less annoyed now without the clown laying on him.

[​IMG]

16. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Just thought Id show about 10 days growth on my L2 scrubber I swapped in for my DIY setup. Getting much thicker growth than it did.

Optimized-20150409_175414.jpg

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Nice!!

18. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Yeah it's working well. I got it from Roman at Springfest. I had to chisel down some cosmetic wood on my stand, hidden by doors luckily, to fit it under my tank. It was either that or empty the sump. Worth it though.

19. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    Updated tank shot

20150427_181746__1430176990_166.181.82.20.jpg

20. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0