1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SGM, Nov 18, 2009.

1. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Have a saddleback clown that his one eye has gooten big.  Like a big air pocket.  It is a reef tank so what should I do?

2. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would look here http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/compldiagnodisease/a/aa053001.htm. Sounds like vitamins would help. I got Marine C in the gift bag at fall fest. I want to tell you that I had a sick fish in my reef tank and used Melafix in it witch is (REEF SAFE)and all my coral (MOSTLY LPS) reacted and I about #!*& my self they did adjust but I DO NOT RECOMMEND any treatment but vitamins in proper amounts in a reef tank!! Use a QT for Meds! Hope he gets better :)

3. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heres another that may be use full http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    it might be a fluke when one attaches to an eye the eye will swell up after the fluke is full it will fall off and the eye will go back to normal I would quarintine the fish if possable
    oh and in case you didn't know a fluke is a type of parasite on fish

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Waterfowler, melafix will also make your skimmer go apesh*t! I would use it as a dip at double concentration. That is what I have used previously(SPECIFICALLY on LPS ie chalices and acans) to treat coral with some tissue damage. it worked quite well as a dip.

6. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O it did go apesh*t and I know it can be used as a dip. Nice to know it work good as a dip but I still would not dose my reef tank with it again.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use melafix anytime my fish appear sick or new fish that turn up having a bacterial infection. It makes the corals close up, but this is normal. It doesnt hurt them. It also makes the skimmer go crazy, but just shut it down for a few days. The benefits of Melafix FAR outweigh the small small negatives.

8. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish it had worked for me but it didn't. Not to say it can't work as a cure it looks like it works for some but not for everyone. But if it dosn't then in QT you can change gears and go to a different antibacterial thats not reef safe fast or treat for a parasite. Time can be short to get them healthy again. The bacteria in the tank water (not necessarily the ones on the fish) these products don't kill, sometimes use the Melafix as food! This means that when you add these medications to a tank (especially a tank that has not been maintained well or one that hasn't had regular water changes) there is a small chance that a bacterial bloom will ensue and take up dissolved oxygen. This could mean that you could see, under such circumstances, your fish significantly increase their respiratory rate. I did see this in my Tang when I used the Melafix. I hear it irritates the cells to speed up the healing but not knowing what was going on with the coral closing up I choose not to continue to use it to cure a fish and irritate my corals.My skimmer was out of wack for 3 days with water changes so in a 7 day course of treatment would it have been down for 10? I don't know but it seemed like I would be punishing the hole tank for my mistake ( adding a fish with out quarintinen it first). So not saying its a good or bad product and that its a good practice to quarintine a sick fish!

9. SGM

SGM Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I will try the dip a couple times a day.