1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

500G Cylinder tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Oct 6, 2008.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I picked up my new tanks in northern Minnesota yesterday.  In the corner the guy has a used cylinder tank.  It is 4 ft across & 6ft tall.  I really want it.
    How would you guys aquascape & light it?
    My thoughts would be to have a column in the middle with high light corals to the top, lower light to the bottom.

2. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A cylinder tank would be awsome but sounds like a headache to manage. How do you run all the equipment in a tank you can see from all sides? How do the tanks look? Let me know if you need any help hauling them into the house.
    Josh

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Actually they werent too bad, the wife & I carried them into the bedroom until we get the basement ready. She wont be able to get them down the stairs though.

On the cylinder I was thinking of having an overflow in the very middle. A 5 inch acrylic cylinder painted. Then I could fasten all the LR to that.

I was thinking of putting a square base on the bottom & one on the top to the ceiling.

The real pain would be yopu would never be able to reach the bottom of the tank so everything would have to be done with long tongs.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Long tongs?!?! REALLY long tongs /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like it would be a fun tank for sure, i would do an overflow in the center, then maybe either make or buy some custom ceramic rock that goes around the overflow. It would be sweet to get a custom stand and canopy built for it as well.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It is a sealed tank with a top & bottom so I could just hook up a pressure pump to flow water into one piipe & out the other.

Bad news is my stairs are only 43 inches wide. I will have to figure out another home for it

7. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    The other day in the shower, I do my best thinking there[​IMG], I was thinking a cylinder on a turn table. Real slow like one rev and hour.  Center overflow with the suply lines inside the overflow but free standing so the over flow would rotate around it. I was thinking you could have a scraper that sat still andwould  clean the glass ever hour. That would be great right up till the time a snail got jammed in it. This tank would sit at the end of the bar that is hypothetical also. I think you could sit at the bar for a couple of revs and drink a beeer or ten.
    Craig cut it into to 3 footers. I might buy one.

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have seen cyclinder tanks before with a central over flow and all return plumbing run up through the center. The overflow and equipment were covered by fake rock inserts. That way the inserts could be removed for maintainance and cleaning.If done right the central tower could even house some powerheads or a closed loop. It would be a kick *** seahorse tank... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

9. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    C'mon you need wider stairs anyway....who can live with a 43" staircase...lol

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I thought about it but there is a support beam on both side of the stairs that I cant move.

I am thinking about Caseys suggestion of making it into 2 tanks instead.

11. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the other thing is how wide is your front door, you would have to make it wider

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have a slider on the back patio that is almost 6 ft accross so I could get it in there. No where upstairs to put it though. I think I will cut it in half & make 2 tanks out of it. A sea horse would be cool although I know nothing about them.

What would really be cool is a dragon fish tank. (they look like seaweed). I dont know if you can even buy them anywhere or not.

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You mean a Sea Dragon? (Its from the sea horse family)
    [​IMG]

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes that would be awesome!!!!!!

15. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    How big are your windows?

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dont have any windows in the basement

17. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Thats not leagal, I guesss thats why you built out of Black Hawk.

18. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    lol,

You are correct, BH county sucks!

I do have a basement door but it isnt wide enough either

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From Wikipedia:

Sea dragons are protected by Australian law. Obtaining them is often an expensive and difficult process as they must be from captive bred stock, and exporters must prove their broodstock were caught before collecting restrictions went into effect, or that they had the correct licenses to collect them. To date, no successful, closed cycle, captive-breeding program has occurred (ie getting a generation of captive-raised sea dragons to breed). Sea dragons have a specific level of protection under fisheries legislation federally and in most Australian states where they occur, such that it is illegal to take or export them without a permit.

They are very fragile and unstable outside their natural habitats. Success keeping them has been largely in the public aquarium sector, due to funding and knowledge that would not be available to the average aquarium enthusiast.

20. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its so he can make his stash and not be seen /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    JUST KIDDING!!!