1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

50 gallon prop tank how far do i want metal halide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i went to menards and got one of them 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank for this 160 pounds of live rock i have im going to be running a 1 horse return pump  and a skimmer with 2 power heads plus 2 x 175 watt mh on it how far do i want the metal halide off stock tnak its 25 inches deeep thanks so much

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A 1 hp pump seems like overkill to me... What are you keeping in the prop tank?

On my 20g reef, my 175w halide bulb is 6" from the surface using a lumenarc mini reflector. I have m. digitata growing within an inch of the surface too.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    didnt use the pump it was a pump off a pool a guy gave me i ended up just leaving it a closed unit with a skimmer and power heads just going to grow soffties and lps in it maber sps

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't even bother running the light until you actually do have corals in it, but otherwise I would place the light fairly low for as deep as the tank is.... You won't have very good luck growing out corals with a 175w halide if they are placed 25" below the water surface... so definetley keep the corals towards the top/middle of the tank and probably but the light 8-10" above the surface.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a dule 1 75 watt on the prop tank with all the live rock the corals are mabey going to be 12- 15 inches down this is more for a place to put my coral so i can move my tnak then ill grow out of it mabey some 400s on it down the road

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    are you sure that is a 50 gal tank? also.....you packed 160 lbs of rock in a 50 gal tank? you should have corals comming out of the water with that much rock

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a 50 gallon stock tank from menards and yes the rock fit 160 pounds is not that much rock in a stock tank this is fugi live rock and good size peaces the stock tank is full im useing it to cure the live rock till i can get time to move my tank to basment

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I was just curious as a 50 gal stock tank is only around 16 inches deep.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was told it was 25 but your right i went and took a tape its only 12 inches deep

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i took a buch of pics dont know how to post them