1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Oct 14, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have been watching our number of users slowly creep up.  One more new person & we will have 500 registered users on the GIRS boards.
    Way to go BOD & way to go JB making us an awesome website.   I know you have spent countless hours in building & maintaining this site.
    We wouldnt be where we are now if we were still on RC.

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How many of those are actually active? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I dunno, there will always be those who register just to sell their setup & never hear from them again. But we have still had almost 4000 different threads & over 20,000 relpies so there are alot of active people.

Especially compared to 5 years ago when the club had 40 people in it

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't trying to knock what you said. I guess it may have come out that way. Was just commenting on the fact that we have almost 500 members and I would say maybe 1/8 active.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Oh I know.

I would be curious to but I am not sure if there is a way to see how many of the 500 people have visited the site in the last month. I know alot of people log on & read but never post (which is ok too!).

I would bet closer to half log on at least monthly.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow, that didnt take long welcome to 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's the actual stats incase anyone is interested:
    [table]

Total Topics4622Total Replies32544Total Members500Total Active Members279

[/table]
    And BTW. active means that they've posted something in the forum.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they've been on the site recently.
    As we all know there are a lot of people coming and going in this hobby all the time, so yes, the real "active" number is considerably lower.
    It's a great milestone though!
    -JB

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    active meaning due paying members, or activly logging into the site?

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just clarified in the original post... Sorry 'bout that!

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Some additional stats.
    Notes:
    1) These are not 100% accurate, but they are pretty close
    2) These don't include "lurkers" who have never registered or those who have registered but haven't logged in.
    Authenticated Users who have been on the site in:
    Last year: 408
    Last 6 Months: 296
    Last 3 Months: 232
    Last Month: 143
    Current Active Club Members (meaning they are current on dues): 121
    -JB

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Well I was off on my guess, closer to half every 3 months. Still not to bad at all!

12. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I remember the days when this site first started up and how the club seemed divided as to whether we needed it. Thankfully some took initiative to wean us off of RC so that our club may grow and we could govern ourselves. I for one am proud of how far this site has come and the amount of traffic it receives daily. I see things continuing to grow through 2010
    Big thanks to everyone who has had a hand in this site, and our club the last couple years

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Max bumped us up to #500. Welcome Max! Congrats to GIRS and thanks to everyone that has brought the club to this point.

--AJ

14. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    121 paying members?? wow! that is fantastic.. i remember the good old days.. when there were 9 of us.

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, our club membership and registered user count have both grown considerably over the last couple years.

This is generally a good thing, but it has a couple "down sides" in my opinions.

1) With more people come more personalities and thus more conflicts. Surprisingly, this really hasn't been all that bad, but it does rear it's ugly head occasionally (as we've seen lately).

2) With more people it becomes more "impersonal". It's difficult to know everyone in the club and I think this translates into less participation in the "non-online" part of the club (socials, tank tours, etc). This is a real shame because (IMO) these can be the most enjoyable part of the club.

I'd love for us to find a way to get the membership more "involved" in both aspects of the club (online and offline)

-JB

16. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a suggestion to bring the club together more or at least try. When I was in a car club we always planned bigger group meets every month and moved them around the state due to people being scattered all over. Mainly in the central Iowa region and the Cedar Rapids area which seems pretty similar to how GIRS is. We would not need to plan a meet every month but maybe every 3 or 4. Have a big BBQ or just kickback and relax with people you can talk "reef" with and not get strange looks. Around Christmas have a party and have a secret santa with frags maybe. It would be also great for the people who are wanting that certain frag to meet up with someone.....why not bring everyone with you because I know there is members traveling all over the state for that certain coral or piece of equipment.

Just my .02 cents....if my rambling made any sense

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Gered,

Thanks for the input. We did have a Christmas Party with a "Secret Frag Santa" last year and it went over pretty well.

And I would argue that AJ is doing a great job of regular scheduling the "Socials" for the CR region like you suggested, but the problem is that not many members are bothering to come to them. That's what I'd like to figure out how to change.

-JB

18. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just renewed my membership after my first year as a member and I am so glad i joined...i have had so many questions that i got multiple responses back on random tank problems...i have never had trouble with the site, everything always seems to run smoothly, awesome job...thanks to everyone who has a hand in the site and thanks for all the great advice...to the next 500

19. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think the numbers are hurting a little bit due to the weekday meets. For most people that is harder to do and if you want anyone to do any type of traveling it is out of the question. I have noticed that a lot sense coming back to the Des Moines area. Unfortunately it has kept me from meeting many of the Des Moines area members which I would love to do but just will not happen with weekday meets.

Also I think the numbers are down just due to the money issues people are running into these days. It has been crazy seeing so many getting out sales in the last few months.

20. smw0522

smw0522 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! didn't realize numbers had increased so much in such a short time. Awesome. Kuddos for all of you who got this started, you must be proud to see where it is today:)

As for attending local events...... I may be speaking for myself, but there may be other females feeling the same. As one of the seemingly few females in a predominately male hobby........ :) I guess sometimes it would be nice to know if there were going to be any others females at an event (be it member or spouses, girlfriends, ect.) I'd like to go occasionally to some socials, tank tours, ect, maybe a post with possible attendees or something like that???