1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

47 Column Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know what you're interested in. I still want to swing by and check your tank out, I'll give you a call in bit.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what are you using for flow in there? and whats your sump setup like?

3. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Flow is provided by an MP20 and a Koralia 1. The sump isn't pictured because it doesn't exist /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif. Filtration is courtesy of a single canister filter that I run GFO and carbon in and a Warner Marine HX2 skimmer.

4. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see you just got the same tank. I will say that if I had to do it again, I'm not sure the MP20 would be my choice of flow. Part of the issue is where I have it but with such small dimensions the water movement really slows down after hitting the first pane of glass. It works fine, I just am not really capturing the full effect of what the MP20 can do. I have seen columns with 2 MP20's placed on either side of a center rock structure which probably works out quite a bit better than mine.

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was thinking of doing 2 MP10's possibly. like you said there isn't a whole lot of room to aquascape and put hands in once things grow out. the vortechs are going to be the best bet to save room. i might have to look into that skimmer

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh and is your light fixture the 24" model?

7. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a fan of the HX2, it works pretty well for me and I've got no complaints from a growth perspective. The MP10's would probably do pretty well. Depending on what you're keeping two MP20's might work out pretty well too. And yeah, the fixture is 24". There's actually very little light spill considering it's oversized because the T5's are spaced in a little bit and don't light completely from end to end. If you go with the rock wall like you were talking about in the other thread I hope you throw some caps and tabling acro's on the back wall! If I had done mine with a foam wall I would definitely have done that with a small island in the middle of the tank for LPS/ fast growing stags.

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh ya i plan on some tabling acro's for sure. its goin to be mainly zoa's near the bottome and sps rest the way up, once stuff goes it, it isn't coming out, its just going to grow out, there will be no adding more. i got my 120g for that

9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    also how is your heat with the halide?

10. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I get a decent amount of evap but a lot of it is stopped with the glass top I had cut for it at Lowes ($15 or so..). The halide heats the water as you might expect but given the depth of the tank.. no issues at all with overheating. I keep a Blue Spotted Jawfish so I try to keep things a little cooler to accommodate him, 78 ish and have no issues with it rising above my set mark so I wouldn't worry too much about excess heat on the tank. I saw you were looking at LED's; admittedly my experience is somewhat limited but my immediate reaction is that with the limited surface area and depth of the tank, a column isn't the best application for them. It's possible I'm wrong but I wouldn't light the tank with anything less with a 250w halide if you want to keep much of anything in the bottom half.

11. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey snowman I can bring one of my spot lights down and see how far it will penetrate. I have the 40 degree optic which would focus the beam to the bottom. At 30 inches they were ranging from 100-150 par. I think you could grow some stuff on the bottom but it would take some tight optics to get to the bottom mixed with some wider optics for the top. With the right set-up on LED's it would be pretty nice. Someone mentioned each one of my fixtures is equivalent to a 250 MH

12. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Gered do you make LED fixtures? If so, something I need to keep in mind for my eventual upgrade /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

13. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No but I love my prebuilt fixtures. I am running 2 of them over my frag tank and have seen great growth. I havent stepped up to the DIY aspect of it. I am running two Par38 LED fixtures sold on nano-tuners.com. It was one of reefbuilders.com top aquarium products of 2009.

14. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Snapped a few pics last night and figured I'd share a few.
    FTS with the slightly altered lighting I've been running for the past month. I swapped the KZ Fiji Purple for another Blue+; really satisfied with the look when the halide is on.. Hate it when it's not.
    [​IMG]
    And from the side
    [​IMG]

15. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice tank Aaron like where you put those zoas should really color up for ya..

Trevor

16. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dunno how much more color I could handle out of them [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They do look good.. I knew youd like them

Trevor

18. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i love those sunny D's i hope my tank will look like that someday /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif cept i think its going to go mainly softies /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

19. Aaron

Aaron Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If by softies you mean LPS, that could still be cool. If by softies you mean true soft coral.. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/pinch.gif

20. Trevor0015

Trevor0015 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Chris if your going to do lsp and zoas.. Make up a 120 like the new tank of the month on reef central, that would look good.

Trevor