1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

4 Years Maintenance Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hi All -- My 14 gallon Biocube has been chugging along for 4 years and I starting to wonder if there is some type of maintenance that occurs in mature tanks. The tank is in fair, but stable shape.
    • CUC = A few turbos, bumblebees, and nassarius snails; hermit and emerald crab.
    • Pests = A bit of bubble algae, vermetids, and unknown red algae (see pics); and cyno (just started)
    • Livestock = 2 ocellaris; 2 zoas; 2 mushrooms; and 1 euphyllia
    I'm trying to get ahead of the cyno by sucking it out and upping my water changes, which is bringing it under control. The other pests seem to be under control. I'm really not checking chemicals anymore as water changes seem to be the universal answer.

Questions:

1. My first thought is to change the sand. I've been sucking it out as it's getting pretty gross so there's not much left. Any thoughts on changing sand in an ongoing tank. Type of sand that is less prone to harboring waste/algae? I could go no sand, but I do like the look of sand.
    2. What other types of maintenance should happen at this point?
    Thanks for your continuing help. Hopefully get the tank ready for the next Grow Out contest.

P1090272.jpeg

2. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on the continued success! Dont have experience with sand as my tanks run bare bottom.

I know my all in one tank would build up loads of detritus in the back chambers so maybe you can start back there? Pulling all the equipment out of the back (pump, heater, skimmer) taking them apart, cleaning the impellers etc. Was something I did a couple times a year.

3. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. In hindsight, a 14 gallon was a bit of a rough intro to saltwater. Any thoughts on the algae. It's not growing very fast, but it looks nasty.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0