1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

3rd level Pest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Saltwater tanks are like video games, the tank keeps sending slightly tougher monsters as I progress. I finally, got cyano and it's giving me a run. As a new reefer, my 1st level monster was bubble algae, pulled tons of that out. Next was vermetids and the zebra snails brought them under control. I just re-introduced coral into my fowlr and that must have been the signal to send the new monster. My strategy is to just keeping changing water as it's only 14 gallons. A couple of questions:
    1. What's generally out of whack when you get cyano?
    2. I've got a doser, but never set it up. Should I?
    3. Just wait it out or dump some chemical?
    4. General advice

Thanks.

2. dodgefever

dodgefever

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

3. dodgefever

dodgefever

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hated chasing things with chemicals, but I am no expert. To easy adding chemicals but they all have adverse effects. Do some reading and watch some vids on u-tube. Plenty of information from alot of reefers.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I've read that doing high frequency water changes can actually fuel cyano. That's the first thing I would stop.

Cyano can "fix" it's own nitrates. It's also usually a phase and can last months.

I'm not the expert by far and nano tanks are a special class of their own IMO so stability becomes extremely important - Alk Cal Mag Salinity, keep them all in line

In general I'd recommend micro-nano bubbling at night and Aquachar

5. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I was just going to get some Purigen, but do you think Aquachar is a good substitute or should I try both. I'll definitely give micro-nano bubbling a whirl and cut back on my water changes. Thanks for the advice.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Aquachar raises your pH and has a negative charge which attracts organics. It is very porous, and over time it becomes bio-media. There are a lot of benefits to using it, but you do have to make sure to use the right amount. As with anything in a nano, make sure you understand it before you use it. Using more is not necessarily better. You can email them and they can tell you more, I'm not the expert on it but I know more than most as I'm friends with Brian Covey. I'm sure he could tell you the right way to approach using it for battling cyano and how effective it might be

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I got really frustrated after about six months of fighting cyano and got Chemipure. Fixed the issue in 48hrs.

8. Sink_or_Swim

Waukee, IA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I ended up with an outbreak of what I believe was cyano (the dark red slimy stuff carpeting the rock)... picked up a huge turbo snail and it cleaned my entire tank in like 3 days. Kept knocking over frags though and crawling over my mushroom rock, so I took him back to Crowned Aquatics so someone else could get him to take care of an algae or cyano issue. I don't personally like the idea of the chemicals that claim to rid cyano, even if they work. I do run Chemi-pure Blue with my filtration but that's it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  9. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Aquachar. I'm tired of the cyno. I figure if I read through all the literature on Aquachar I might as well give it a whirl. I'll keep you posted