1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

"above tank" refugium...drill glass or acrylic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've got a RSM 130 aquarium (all-in-one nano kit).  I'd like to install a small "above tank" refugium.  I was thinking of using a 10 gallon glass aquarium, but not sure if any local glass companies will drill it. Anyone know if anyone in Des Moines will drill it?  If not, any suggestions for a cheap alternatives...like plastic or acrylic?  At this point I want to go pretty low tech.
    I was thinking a mj1200 powerhead to pump into the fuge and then gravity feed back into the main tank.  I will eventually put a sump in the cabinet, which will tee off and feed the fuge...but waiting to do that.

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    walmart.....check there storage box area, you should be able to find something small that should suit your needs

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, I want something that looks nice since this will be next to the display. I was thinking I could maybe find one of those small plastic/acrylic tanks that are in the 5-12G range, but they're usually sold as kits and I don't need all the extra stuff.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I may be wrong, but I don't think you can drill 10G's. I think the glass is too thin and breaks too easily.

-JB

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with JB, you can drill them but it is very hard not to break them after they are drilled.

One thing you can do is to take a 10g and cut the silicone from one end with a razer, then remove the end glass and replace it with a peace of Plexiglas or acrylic.
    If you have to break it to get it out thats ok, just be careful!!! [​IMG]
    I've done this several times and it works pretty good. Just use some tank silicone to put in the new peace.
    P.S. Drill the holes you need before you put it in!!!
    Hope this helps.
    -Rick-

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks rick, that sounds like a pretty good idea.