1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

2nd Tank Start-up...New Approach!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 120, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, after a lot of thought, I've decided to add to my system in a rather unconventional way.  I'm going to go ahead and setup a 2nd tank.  However, this new tank will be an independant fish only tank to serve two purposes.
    1 - It will be located on the main floor of my house (my reef is in my entertainment room on the ground level) and will finally allow my wife to buy a couple fish she has been eyeing for a while.
    2 - It will be the first stop for all new fish I acquire for my reef.
    I have run a quarantine tank before but it has always been a temporary setup in my fishroom.  The main problem with that was my fish room is not very large (wife keeps reminding me it is also the "laundry room"...whatever) and I hate buying a new fish only to not see it for the first month I own it.  I already have a tank, heater and powerheads but need to acquire lights, a return pump and bio-balls, drill the tank, make a small sump and build a stand.  The tank is a 29 gallon (30 1/4W x 12 1/2D x 18 3/4H) that has been sitting in my garage for a year and I'm going to use a 10 gallon for the sump.  Plan is to use a simple filter sock and bio-balls for filtration.
    My other thought is that I know I am not the only person in this area that has the occasional need for a quarantine tank in which to make sure that new purchase is safe to add to the reef, so I'm planning on offering to "break-in" fish for anyone who needs help.  Have to admit I have never heard of anyone offering to do this before but thought I'd put the idea out there!
    So does anyone out there have any of the things I am in need of?  All help is appreciated...

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a 175 watt mh pendit i can let go for 50.00 works great just a older light has a 56k bulbs in it brand new

3. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reefguy - Thanks for the offer but I jsut got a light from a guy over in Naperville. Now I just need bio-balls and a pump...

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a large shipping box full of bioballs. I paid $20 for it and would like that back out of it. I am in Independence.