1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

29 Gallon Biocube build with pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REEFer Madness, Sep 14, 2009.

1. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First off, I am having a problem with the hood.   The actinics won't turn off unless I unplug the ballast, and the other PC only turns on sometimes.   The fan will be on, but the light will come on and off through out the day.    I called Oceanic today about 3:50 and the dude hung up on me after I stated my problem.  Their hours only last till 4pm.   So I called again and got his answering machine.  They are getting a call back tomorrow.
    Okay, now with the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    I used egg crate for the skeleton.   I didn't zip tie the rocks, but as long as I didn't shake the thing, they stayed on pretty well.   I didn't like how much foam really expanded, so I trimmed about 3/4 of it off to make the rocks stand out more.   Plus, less buoyancy and more water volume.
    [​IMG]
    I think the next time I'm going to try this, I'm going to make some kind of form or mold and not use any rocks.
    [​IMG]
    All trimmed and fits snug into the biocube.  The black hole is where the bottom return is.   The half square I cut out at the top right is the where the top one is.
    [​IMG]
    here's the two part epoxy I got from Home Depot.   These two bottles cost ten bucks and I used both bottles.  I wouldn't recomend using this on a bigger project.   It was thicker than I thought it was going to be.  So I glopped alot on and tried to spread it out as best as I could.  I had to work fast, as this stuff cures in five minutes.[​IMG]
    The sand didn't stick to all the epoxy.  I think I didn't push down hard enough in those areas, but coralline will cover those errors in time.
    [​IMG]
    Remember kids, when working with toxic vapors to be in an area that is well vented or outside.
    [​IMG]
    I took out some of the sand, but he's a dry run.    I'm thinking I may get a goby/shrimp combo.  
    [​IMG]
    I made a new batch of water and used half new water, half water from my 90.  SO it's like I did a 50% water change.   I'm just messing around right now with some rock work.   I only have bigger pieces and went to Aquatic Environments on Saturday.   I looked at their dry rock and didn't have anything I saw that I liked.   So I'll see what I can do to make it look interesting.
    But this picture took me forever to catch.   As I stated earler, the pc light comes on and off, so I'd be busy around the house and have to keep an eye out to watch the light to come on so I could take this picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the two side views.

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Lookin good so far. I love the rock walls that people use. Someday I'll set up a new tank that I can give it a try.

So was that dry sand too or live sand?

Keep us updated!

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was dry sand. I did throw in a small cup of my live sand to help it out.