1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

250 watt DE`s or 400 watt SE`s?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travis, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to get some new lights for the tank and wanted to get the opinions of you fine folks here that I trust.  Have any of you tried the 400 watt radiums, the 250 DE Pheonix, or other 400 or 250 watt DE's that you liked?  I guess which ones did you choose and why?  This will be a mixed reef (I know, I know) with a heavy slant to the SPS side.  I am looking to light a 90 gallon for a while then hopefully, floor joice willing, upgrade to a 220.  The tank will be supplimented by 4 110 watt VHO's so color will not be an issue.  Please let your personal opinions and reasons you chose what you did fly.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I run 250 Phoenix DE's and I love them. The color is (IMHO) perfect. A nice crisp blueish white.

I went with DE's because I wanted to use pendants in my tall open top canopy, but I think that the SE reflectors do a better job.

-JB

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have never really liked DE lights much, i dunno why what i definitely prefer SE's. If it were me and i had the VHO's already i suppose i would go with the 400 watt 10k XM's because of they seem to have a really high PAR. I have tried Radiums and to me there wasn;t much difference between them and the XM's but for some reason the Radiums were more money.

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use the 400W Radiums and I think they are a bit more crisp than the XM20k's
    Its all in what you like and what works for your tank. I will most likely stay with the radiums as I like the look of them without any actinic supplementation.

If you look in the photo forums you can see my recent posts with picks that are all taken with the Radiums.

Good luck!

eins

5. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it true that DE 250's can produce the same PAR as 400 SE bulbs? I guess that was what I took from one of the old reefcentral threads anyway. I figured why deal with more expense and heat if the 250's can do the job.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 10/02/2008 12:11 AM
    Isn't it true that DE 250's can produce the same PAR as 400 SE bulbs? I guess that was what I took from one of the old reefcentral threads anyway. I figured why deal with more expense and heat if the 250's can do the job.
    That might be an overstatement.  Well at least it was with the setup that I had for my 210.  I had 400W XM 20K SE bulbs on the outside driven by M59 ballasts and a 250W Phoenix 14K DE bulb driven by an Ice Cap e-ballast in the middle.
    I don't remember the PAR output numbers but the Phoenix was lower when compared to the XM's.  It might not show up well in the picture but the Phoenix in the middle did look slightly yellow compared to the XM's. 
    Anyway if you are going to be leaning towards SPS and have a tall tank, I would go with 400W.  Even though my current tank is 20" tall, I still feel 400W bulbs would give me better color and growth.  I have noticed a few corals that came from a 400W tank that looked great but loss some color in mine until I put it up at the very top.  Only then the color came back.
    [​IMG]

7. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I think I know which way I am going to go.  I am thinking the 400's will have to be my choice as I am never happy if I know there is something better out there and they should be great on my future tank, if those plans ever get past the "finance committee"... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What reflector are you going to use? You can get a lot more out of your bulbs with the Lumen reflectors. JMO

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By slovan on 10/02/2008 06:47 AM

Posted By Travis on 10/02/2008 12:11 AM
    That might be an overstatement.  Well at least it was with the setup that I had for my 210.  I had 400W XM 20K SE bulbs on the outside driven by M59 ballasts and a 250W Phoenix 14K DE bulb driven by an Ice Cap e-ballast in the middle.
    I don't remember the PAR output numbers but the Phoenix was lower when compared to the XM's.  It might not show up well in the picture but the Phoenix in the middle did look slightly yellow compared to the XM's. 
    Anyway if you are going to be leaning towards SPS and have a tall tank, I would go with 400W.  Even though my current tank is 20" tall, I still feel 400W bulbs would give me better color and growth.  I have noticed a few corals that came from a 400W tank that looked great but loss some color in mine until I put it up at the very top.  Only then the color came back.
    [​IMG]
    Was that a blue throat trigger in your old tank?  I've been thinking about getting one, what do you think?  Also, I'm having trouble placing my 3- Tunze 6100's in my 210 without blowing sand all over the place.  I'm limited to the back and left side because my tank is a penisula tank with both overflows on the right side.  I basically have all three of the 6100's on the back like yours are.  Any ideas or suggestions?   I really don't want to take the sand out (or attempt to!) but I can't deal with the bare front with piles here and there.   HELP!!
    Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread Travis but I need some help badly.

10. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a pair of crosshatch triggers and not the blue throat. However I have heard good things about the bluethroat triggers so you should be fine.

As for the sand blowing around, just make sure they're not pointed at each other. Another thing to do is turn down your pumps for about a month and let your sandbed settle. After that, slowly ramp up your pumps to the point where it doesn't blow around your sandbed.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking at the picture better I see that they are crosshatches. Very nice!

Thanks for the advice, I will turn them down and see if I can get the sand under control.

12. Paper Clip

Paper Clip Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    going along with the 400 watt is better theory, which ballast electronic or m59? I've also got some lights to buy and have been looking into this question, but haven't been able to figure it out. Figured you guys would have some good opinions.

13. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to go electronic, cheaper and cooler to run.