1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

2 uv or not 2 uv that is the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ninjazx777, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    just wondering on peoples opinon on UV sterelizers.  I have heard there good to reduce parosits but also not good because they kill copods and increase wast in the system.  Just wondering because I am redoing some of my plumbing and I have a 36 watt turbo twist and just wanted to know if I should leave it hooked up or take it off
    thanks
    matt

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was about to post the same question.... interested in hearing what others have to say.

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You could plumb it so it's easy to put in and take out. If you add new fish or have any problems you could hook it up for a little while, then take it off when it's not necessary...

4. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am with adam on this on. I do have a UV but don't run it all the time. I turn in on if I notice some ich starting to develope on my fish, mostly my tangs. After a while you really don't need it, but would be a piece of equipment you would want to have around just in case of an out break.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welll, in a perfect world we would not have any trouble with parasites because we all QT before adding livestock. So in this case you don't need it. Before I added one I had read that it makes your water clearer because of certain micro algae's it kills in the water column. When I tried one I found this to be true although I would not say why. I think them killing pods is a myth but I would not swear to that. I took mine out because I didn't want another $50 bulb to replace every year.
    So my conclusion is: if you QT you don't need it for parasites. It isn't extremey effective here anyway because many of the critters never get loose in the water column to go through the thing. I think we all know that Petco is a definate source of Ich and they run UV on everything. But if you want a little clearer water then maybe go for it.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Save your money, go buy some frags instead.