1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

180 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good!

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    looking real good. Keep it up.

3. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks, guys. The ATO I made today has sprung a leak, but other than that, I'm pretty psyched. Should have let that silicone dry a while longer.

Got a new video uploading to youtube now. Will post a link when it's ready.

4. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Watched your video. Everything looks good. Keep it up. Remember that Lowes and Menards carry a whole range of quick connect fittings. I used one for a pass thru for my auto top off. No need for the silicon that way. It works like a bulkhead.

Let me know when your ready for the skirt and Top rim cover you wanted. Looks like a good winter project..

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    What are you sealing with silicone on you ATO setup?

6. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks, Kyle. I'll probably get the fittings. I got lazy and didn't feel like leaving the house to go get them. here's the video:

7. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

New fish and new backing for the tank!

Well, I picked up a Magnificent Foxface and a yellow tang this week. I spent part of today scraping the light blue paint off the back of my tank and then put on a deep blue aquarium backing. If I decide I don't like that, I can turn it around and go back. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Here are a few pics and I'll be posting a new video of the tank paint scraping later on.

Before scraping:

[​IMG]

Between:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ray

Ray

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good...

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think the darker blue looks much better.

10. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Here's the video of the scraping:

11. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Added some new rock yesterday. Here are some pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your setup is looking nice. Hope th Powder Brown works out for ya.

13. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

I'm doing my best to keep him happy and healthy.

14. MJB Tanks Well-Known ReefKeeper

Pleasant Hill, IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great color choice

15. Alex McG GIRS Member

Altoona, IA
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Looking good! I just got back into the forum and this thread was one of the first I read. I got to say it was an enjoyable one.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

AFAIK vaseline is a petroleum product, and while I have used it in a reef system, I don't know if you could truly consider it reef safe. The easiest bet is to just get Gunk Silicone Grease, which is reef safe, and available at any hardware store.

Ok so I was a little behind on that comment...hope you got it figured out!!

I didn't get a chance to watch all the vids but nice tank and setup. can't tell from the pics but it looks like part of your drain slopes uphill? Am I seeing that right?

+1 on PVC taking a few tries. On the leaks, I have "patched" leaky joints with spa flex, solvent, and zip ties. I also started a thread on RC about the subject and got a few good suggestions http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102045. The key is after the primer evaporates to put the solvent on (some say one side, some say both, I do both) and inserting then doing a 1/4 twist and that's it. No twisting back and forth - insert, twist, hold, relax. Twisting back and forth as you push the pieces together can and will cause leaky joints.

...can't tell you how many times I got to the last joint of a long run where everything had to "line up" perfectly and I screwed up the last weld. Now I use unions and other non-permanent joints prolifically. Life is much easier.

17. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've got everything but one pesky leak figured out. I'm gonna tackle the last few construction details in an upcoming weekend. It's been helpful to live with the system for several weeks and find what works and what doesn't. I've been able to make adjustments as I go and the next time I do this, it'll be easier. At this point I might be redoing a bunch of what I have if I want to put in reactors, etc, so we shall see. It's been fun, educational and sometimes hariy along the way.

I have some more rock in the garage still that'll go in over the next week or so and I'm probaby gonna buy a box of Marco or BRS rock to finish it off. Really amazing and gratifying to put this together.