1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

180 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm happy to say that the silicone seems to have done the trick, at least for the time being. Have one more pesky leak that I think I've found and then hopefully that will be the end for the near future. I'd like to live with this system, figure out what I like and don't like about it and then probably rebuild it in the future. Heck, it'll give me something to do.

2. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With Foster and Smith sending by smart post - email or call them and have them note on your account not to do that. All my orders from them came by UPS, with the same free shipping...I asked for no smart post and no FedEx (for some reason FedEx seems to only deliver things to me un-broken about 25% of the time...)

3. softieatheart

softieatheart Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had terrible problems with FedEx, too.

4. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    EVERYTHING's MOVED OVER!
    Well, I got the fish, rock, corals, sand and water moved over this morning/afternoon. Quite a job, but I'm glad it;'s none and I hope everyone survives. The Niger Trigger doesn't like moving around.
    The only casualty so for is the collection cup for my Super Skimmer. hit the ground as I was moving it and the bottom broke pretty good. It's not going to be my long=term skimmer for this tank, so I don't know what to do.
    And the added bonus: I stopped on the way home from the CR/IC BBQ last night and picked up 2 AI Sols and hung them. I'll probably need at least one more, but that's all the $$$ I could wrangle out of the banker for now. Even thought I explained the long-term cost savings. it's hard to explain why you have to spend $1000. Eek. I think she still loves me.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/hehe.gif
    Here are a few picks. I'm going to do another video of all the steps I went through to get this stuff done. Stay tuned. Thanks for reading.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the 75 setup, soon to be on Buy/sell/trade for sale. [​IMG]

5. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean to alarm you, but I would have let the sand dust settle first before transferring over everything. You don't want to add live stock to clouded water so you don't stress them more then they will already be. Maybe someone else will chime in and say different. Tank coming along keep it up just take you time ok. Don't rush things at all.

6. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It was more settled before the transfer. The water and sand have been in there a week. I used sugar sand as the base and that stuff clouds up at the slightest agitation.  Hoping everything will be OK.

7. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you have things under control. Darn that sugar sand

8. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here's a video update:
    http://youtu.be/lomSoyMBkcg

9. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A few new pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Looking real good Jason.

11. Looks great! good looking powder brown tang /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

12. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, guys. I'm pretty excited. Hoping everyone likes their new home and stays for a while.

13. Herman

Herman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of wrasse is that? Was it pricey and where did you get it from.Looks nice.

14. I believe that is a cleaner wrasse, a fairly cheap fish. Also a very useful fish to have.

15. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it's a cleaner wrasse. I got it for $20. What I've read online says they're hard to keep alive, but a lot of that was older info. I don't know if they're bred differently now or not, but this guy got in the tank, started cleaning fish and eating within minutes. My Niger Trigger was a little ICH-y and he spent a lot of time with him last night. I got him mainly because I've read that powder browns can be ICH-prone and I wanted to be sure I had something in there to help him out if needed.

16. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, I got a skimmer. I picked up an Eshopps S-200 cone skimmer this afternoon and then I had to cut back some of the opening on the top of my sump to get it in. Yeehaw. I'm a cowboy!

Here's a video of the after. I wish I would have had someone there to tape the before and during. My crppy little Dremel wasn't up to the task. Drastic measures were then required.

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Looks good Man, I would suggest breaking in the Skimmer with the bubble level closer to the bottom of the Cup near the point where the cup comes off of base. Do this for around 2 to 3 days and then fine tune it after the 3 day. The reason for the behavior you are seeing is because (new) its not broke in yet and is not fine tuned yet. It will work better after some fine tuning and slim coat is coated the inside.

Looking great

18. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's that it was doing turned all the way down. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif It's settling down now, but still keeps bubbling over. Pretty good piece of gear. Or at least it seems like it will be.

19. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    If it bubbles over then its still set to high from what I know. I have a Bubble Magus knock off and got on Youtube to see how to season it. There are a but load of videos on it and I picked one that just said let it bubble slightly at base of cup with out going up sides of cup and then let it set this way for few days. After that fine tune it and then you will keep an eye on it to see how you want it set.

I like that brand you got and will get it when I get a larger tank, but is so hard to spend 300.00 on a skimmer. lol

20. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, I added more rock today from the big batch I got from j.stacey and Ray. I also set up my ATO with an Eshopps gravity-fed and an 18 gallon rubbermaid bin.This thing is actually starting to look like a tank!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]