1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

180 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dead fish, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, 3 out of 4 of them were leaking. Hmm.

2. Killernights

Killernights Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    then i would say the unions were bad, the o-ring should keep the water from coming out and the threads on the union are there to tighten the 2 parts of the union together and squeeze the o-ring. So far I have NEVER had a union leak on me unless the o-ring had been missing.

3. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, they ain't leaking now, so I guess I'll go with it. It was only on one side, which was strange.

4. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Did you use any o-ring lube? Dry o-ring's don't seal as well. Putting some silicon o-ring lube will help the seal immensely. If you don't have that Vaseline or even vegetable oil will work also and it's all safe to use in a reef.
    This is best, less than $5 @ F&S and what I use on any o-ring's on my reef equipment.  It helps keep the seals soft and allows skimmer parts to go together much eaiser.

[​IMG]

5. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well of course I didn't use any of that. Why would I if I never heard of it and it wasn't right next to the unions with instructions that say, "Use this with that!"? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    Anyway, just got home and am chasing down what I hope to be the last of the leaks. Looks like I didn't get a good seal with the PVC cement in a couple places.  Any reason to not use aquarium-safe silicone to seal those couple places?
    Of course, I've already done it, so...I guess we'll see if that works.

6. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and I'll never order from Drs. F&S again. I put in an order with them Tuesday of last week and it still hasn't showed up. They're using something called FedEx Smart Post, which is not all that smart. My package went to WI, then to Kansas City, and will show up back here in Iowa tomorrow. The Pony Express would have gotten it here quicker. 
    Epic fail, Drs. F&S.

7. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Silicon will not adhere to PVC, you need to use PVC cement. Super glue would work better than silicon but I"m not telling you to use that :) The connections need to be dry before you re-glue as well.

8. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So what's the best way to get the cement in there if all but that one little spot is glued tight? I don't mean to be dense but this is my first pvc go round. I guess I do have son gel crazy glue around too.

I'm trying my darnedest to not lose my patience and cut corners but this is day 4 of the SS Leaky Tank.

9. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Yep smart post sucks, FedEx ground takes 1 day from them to IA but smart post generally takes a week+. Any packages that are light or small go smart post, it works like this - FedEx picks up the package from F&S then tenders it to USPS in Kansas City from there it flows with your regular mail until it reaches you.  It's cheaper for them, you and FedEx since they don't have to make a residential stop and the post office already does everyday. ( But then that's probably why the post office is bankrupt, the service they provide cost more than they charge). Only the government can do it year after year and still stay in business:)

10. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

If you don't want to take the plumbing apart your best bet is to slather some more cement in/on the joint and hope that it "wickers" into the gap filling it.  The correct way would be to redo the joint though.

11. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Inorder to redo the joint do I have to cut it up or is there a way to unglue?

12. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Nope sorry[​IMG]

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I love DFS because of the free shipping - includes heavy and bulky items-but I hate that smart post BS. I ordered a bunch of small items as well as a 40 lb bag of sand and a bunch of boxes of salt. The salt and sand showed up next day, the small box got shipped around the country for a week. Tell me how that's cheaper. Fed-ex had to make a stop here to delivery the salt, why not include the other damn package on the same truck??

14. dead fish Dead Fish

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Waaaah!

15. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think it takes 2 or 3 tank builds to get really sufficient at plumbing. I know my first shot isn't the best. I'm looking at redoing most of it this winter, we'll see if round 2 goes with less problems.
    Don't get discouraged, just take your time and you'll get all those pesky leaks sealed up...or maybe you'll leave it like I did and just clean all the salt off the connections from time to time. Some leaks are so slow you don't notice them until you see all the salt deposits

16. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

It's still cheaper for F&S because the shipment is calculated by each individual packages weight. FedEx does not credit the fact that they are already going to be making a delivery there, the number of packages is irrelevant in the calculation. Whether their shipping 10 boxes or 2 it is still billed by each packages individual weight. Not the shipments total weight.

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Removing the leaking joint is the correct way to fix the join. Putting more Cement on the joint may stop the leak, but it could not bond correctly and leak again later. To be sure I would re do the Joint. I also notice a section of pipe that looked like it could be re done after looking back a pictures. Its just to the left of the shot off in one of the pictures. It looks like it got put in at an angle or something. I had to redo my setup twice, but that's the brakes.
    Thanks for sharing your build it great.
    KP

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I believe you that for whatever reason it is cheaper, if it wasn't they wouldn't be doing it. The thing that gets me is that the route from Rhinelander WI to Kansas City KS, takes you directly through the state of Iowa. I don't like when my packages go right by me only to come back a a few days later LOL.

19. Jamie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

For the most of the country smart post doesn’t take much longer but because of our geological location to F&S and the FedEx sort/USPS dispatch facility in KS it doesn't make much sense to us....but that's just how it works, I hate it as well I wish that they had a FedEx ground option for shipping during checkout. I have called them when placing a order and requested FedEx ground not smart post and they did do it for me  Just a tip for any of you ordering from them[​IMG]

20. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I was just wondering if they would do that on request. Good to know they will.