1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? test kits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayt, Jul 26, 2015.

1. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What are the best kits out there to test my water parameters with?

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I use salifert test kits.

3. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've been using api but I've been seeing some comments about them being off. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

4. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Red sea pro test kit, and hanna checker

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  5. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any suggestions if which one to use for what tests?

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I use red sea for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. API for nitrate. Hannah for phosphate.

7. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I use basically what Jeremy does but i also use the hanna checker to double check my red sea kits sometimes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    i like salifert for cal, mag
    hanna for alk and phosphate
    ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate I just use the cheap api kits.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Alk: Hanna Checker. Hands down the easiest. Salifert is really good too though.

Phosphate: Hanna Checker. If you don't have the Phosphate, get the Phosphorus ULR (Ultra Low Range) as it is better. But you have to take certain steps in order to get consistent results: mainly, keeping the cuvette at the same rotation point throughout the test as the variations in thickness of the cuvette wall will throw off the test result (mark a point with a sharpie)

Calcium: Salifert. Considering RSP though after talking to Donny about it.

Magnesium: Salifert. Also considering RSP.

pH: not worth bothering IMO unless you are having a problem and you can pin it to pH, but I use a Hanna probe for this one as well, it's a triple meter, TDC/EC/pH probe, but needs calibration, etc. All pH probes are finicky. Usually something else out of whack causes pH to be out of whack, so don't chase it, fix the root problem.

Potassium (K): Salifert. Vastly overlooked. Test is easy but I've heard that it's difficult to get an accurate test for potassium with any hobby-grade kit. So this one will definitely tell you a difference between 2 test accurately, but the reference point might not be accurate. Meaning you can test for 400 and then 350 and know that you dropped 50 points, but you can't be sure if you were at 400, or +/- 30 points off of 400 (for instance). Good news is, you don't care. You can have K a 1000ppm and be just fine (according to Justin Credible)

Nitrate: over 10-20ppm, API. Under 10ppm, Salifert (look through side). Salifert is difficult to discern after 10ppm, when looking through top. API sucks under 10ppm, but you can tell pretty easily the difference between 10 and 20 and 40 ppm. Anything over 40ppm, it becomes difficult to tell. If you have 0ppm, API will look bright yellow, with no orange/brown tinge to it. So in that respect, it's good for telling if you are at zero. But the 5-20 range is iffy.

Ammonia: I don't test. You shouldn't even have ammonia, if have sudden cloudy water, then test.

Nitrite: I don't test. Saltwater can have up to 100ppm Nitrite before it becomes toxic, due to ions in saltwater. Although it's presence would indicate a bacterial colony issue or filtration problem, and you would probably have ammonia present as well.

Strontium: Only tried Salifert and I wouldn't wish the test on my worst enemy. Takes like 40 minutes.

Iodine/Iodide/Iodate: only tried salifert, simple test, not sure of value. But always should test before dosing.

10. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Yes. I forgot Potassium. Another important one. I use Red Sea Pro also.

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Hanna checker: Phosphate
    Salifert: Calcium, alkalinity, mag
    API: Nitrate and ammonia
    PH: Pinpoint PH monitor and DA PH monitor
    Red Sea: Nitrate

I keep the ammonia test kit around for when I've got new fish and am using the quarantine tank.
    Nitrate - Generally use the API test kit. As long as its under 10, I don't worry. If I think I have a problem, I will use the Red sea test.

Potassium: I really like the Salifert test kit. Unfortunately one hasn't been able to get it since the beginning of the year. Latest I've seen on it is that it has been discontinued. Looking for a replacement. Seen the elos test kit, but it was way to complicated (if I remember correctly).

Jeremy - how do you like the Red Sea Pro Potassium test kit? Looked a bit pricey to me. ??

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

13. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    The potassium kit is ok. It's kind of a pain in the rear. Take some time letting sample sit for the reagent to work. There are videos on YouTube. That's what I watched before using.

I don't test potassium very often so I can live with it. The potassium pro kit when you first buy it is spend but the refill kit is cheaper. It contains just the titration and reagents. The pro has glass vile and syringes.

14. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks Jeremy.