1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Zoos disappearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by acrouse, May 28, 2010.

1. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My zoos seen to be slowly disappearing. What could be the cause??

2. Mary

Mary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i've had that happen for no apparent reason. Son says my tank is too clean. .... i have had some success with dipping them just in case there is some sort of 'bothering' creature like a nudibranch or something...

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...now if by disappearing, you mean shrinking into oblivian over a period of time, than it's your water quality most likely. I've heard zoas do best when there's a little nitrates in the tank. In general, most softies do better when the water quality is good, but not quite perfect. If you are talking about a nice, full zoa one day to a 1/2 or no zoa the next, then somethings eating them and you need to figure out what that is.

--AJ

4. Elazar

Elazar Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my friend has the same thing but his zoas look like they are melting. 58g T5 6bulbs 12hr

5. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It is the more like the slow melting away over time. The only thing that looks out of line with the water is the Alk. all other water test seem in line. I have never been able to get the alk. to the suggested level. Nitrates are zero.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have had a similar occurrence with old T5 bulbs. Replacing them seemed to reverse course.

7. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just replaced my T5 about 3 months ago. I do run carbon all the time should I remove that for a while??

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How many different colonies are we talking about? Someone I trust a bunch just told me at Spring Fest that when his Zoas start looking bad he dips in Furan 2 for 15 minutes to half and hour. He says it works very well. This was Todd Cherry of Cherry Corals, he has some of the best looking corals around so I trust his advice. I also have dipped in Revive with some luck.

9. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I got one colony that went from several 100 down to 3, while the silver colony right next to it was doing fine but is now reducing also. I have noticed my eagle eyes, radioactive greens doing the same. I had one frag of dragon eyes go from 4 polyps to 0 just this week. I just don't want to keep losing them if there is some thing I could do to stop it.

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is there anything else going on in the tank? Algae growth, Cyano or Diatoms? Have you changed the carbon recently? Do you have any dip? Revive or Iodine? Good Skimmer?
    These are the things I did recently to bring some of mine back. I lost quite a few first though because I had not kept up with maintenance. I changed carbon, GFO and tuned and cleaned my skimmer. I have also been running a micron filter in a Magnum canister filter. Zoas are coming back nicely now.

11. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    sounds more like you made friends with a zoa eatting nudibranch than water quality,  of course I'm no expert....i barely know what im talking about most days

12. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jason, how do you tell if it is these nudibranchs? How do you get rid of them?

13. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Joel it's a real pain in the butt until you get good at spotting them, the easy way would be to pull a colony that seems to be loosing polyps out of the tank and dip them in a heavy mix of iodine. Give it five or so minutes and then either shake the heck out of the colony or run a maxi jet pump over the polyps( if the colony and or polyps are pretty beat up i wouldn't use the pump as it will usually blow the polyps off the rock). If after shaking you notice theres small slugs rolling around the bottom of the container, you should dip all your pieces. Now PLEASE if you have them or think you do.....make sure to observe them, make sure they have small spike looking things coming out of there back, some call them feathers. Most tanks have regular slugs that cause no harm, so before theres a freak session just make sure to look at what you've got before having a heart attack....it saves on ibuprofen. And if you need and detailed info just shoot me a pm

14. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Oh and I forgot to mention they lay there eggs in a white looking circle/ swirl pattern, if you have eggs you need to manually scrape them off, dips will not kill them.