1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

zoa`s brightened up after feeding?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wouldtick, May 19, 2014.

1. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0

I bought some zoas online last week. They are doing great and had good color upon arival.

Just for fun i put a few cubes of mysis shrimp in the blender with a small amount of dry seaweed. I added water and made a slurry. Put it in a syringe and gave my zoanthids a small dose. Their color has improved greatly. I am seeing hues in the different types that were not there before. Can they color up in 13 hours since the feeding or are they just finally getting acclimated to the tank? Prbably a combination of both. I tried to take photo's but man they look horrible in the photo. LED syndrome.

Has anyone else fed their zoas and noticed a change in appearance?

2. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I would say they are probably getting acclimated. While I am a HUGE proponent of feeding corals. Zoas are notoriously picky eaters and will often 'react' to the food rather than eat it ( similar to some types of richordea) Paly's tend to be the voracious eaters. Most people that you talk to will tell you that their Zoas eat like mad, but in I have a feeling more often than naught they are reacting.

The slurry is a great idea and go a long way in a tank. Another good method is to take the top layer of 'cloudy stuff' from thawed fish foods for the rest of the tank and use that for the smaller polyp corals.

Either way, if you can keep it up without over feeding the tank I am 100% on your side in terms of feeding. If nothing else... Its probably not hurting!

3. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    have you ever used any of the prepared coral food such as marine snow or coral frenzy for example?

4. jazzybio13 MBI Breeder

Ames
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I regularly feed my corals (zoa's included) as I have non photosynthetic sponges that need daily feedings and I have seen a wonderful improvement in pigmentation of colors. More so on larger corals but the zoa's do well with it.

I typically use my own mash up, but my zoa's love the end slurry of the coral frenzy juice a lot! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

5. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I feed my LPS Aqua merin (sp) That German company. one that is a two part mixture. Most love it. the zoas are alright with it. I have tried coral Chili, and frenzy with mixed results. I use Rod's...Reef mix I think it is... And use the cloudy top layer for Zoas and pipeorgans.