1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Who uses styrofoam under tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hunter, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good Evening, I know this topic is beat up on every forum around. I just was wondering as far as the members here who all uses foam under tanks?
    I haven't been able to decide if I will be doing it or not for this 150 I have.

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I have it inder our 180 gallon acrylic sump but not under our glass display tanks.

3. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Styrofoam on acrylic tanks or a rimless tank. If you add it to a tank with frames you will have pressure on the bottom glass and could cause the glass to shatter.

If it's framed just level the stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I do on my rimless cubes

5. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the input

6. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    If you can find the manufacturer of the tank ask them. On second hand tanks you don't know brand sometimes, but I can't believe on some other forums how many people know the manufacturer and still ask! Tanks builders rules always are above forum advise!

That being said Buku is spot on.

7. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    oh I read this wrong I thought you were asking about it IN the tank on the bottom. Because I saw one guy do that and I was not sure why, I did not ask but I was guessing it was so the bottom did not scratch.

8. Kevin

Eagle, Ne.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On glass tanks, no...if for any reason the wood you're placing isn't level & square all around, fix that, not the tank. Also, I've seen where people that have used the foam, it deteriorates because of water, air, time etc. then becomes a real problem. For wood protection I use a rubber based material, like sound matt for automotive uses.

9. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    This is why I always recommend calling the manufacturer if possible. The above is only true if talking about glass tanks with thick black trim (frame) on bottom. For my custom glass tanks built by miracles, one of North America's top builders, I personally had a conversation about what to put under the rimless tanks they built. "100% absolutely rimless tanks require some sort of foam under them or they will break." Straight from the manufacturer's mouth.

I just want to clear that up for any confusion! I am sure some people have rimless without foam, but I will follow the builders instructions. He specified what thickness and type (Lowe's blue foam).

10. Kevin

Eagle, Ne.
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly why I said, "On glass tanks, no...".

11. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I found that confusing as my rimless tanks are glass.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Rimmed glass tanks: Never ever ever ever. 4' or less, only need support on the corners 6" from each corner (technically). 4' or more, need full contact around entire frame. Generally good to do this anyways.

Rimless glass tank (even ones with a thin trim piece, like Miracles): Always foam, and almost always the white beaded compressible kind. Blue or pink insulation foam is acceptable but it does not give as much. Miracles suggests using the foam they ship in the crate with the tank, for instance.

Acrylic tanks: never foam. Set directly on doubled-up 3/4" plywood, as flat as possible. Alternatively can use something like neoprene ($$) or maybe a very thin layer of blue/pink insulation foam (as thin as you can get, just for the purpose of evening out the stand surface)

Rimless glass and acrylic tanks need full support across the entire bottom, which means an adequate stand with properly spaced crossbraces.