1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Where to buy Corals.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tolkein6, May 21, 2019.

1. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hello all...any suggestions on where to buy Corals online. Looking for starter stock easy lps/ sps from somewhere with reasonable prices for the corals and especially shipping!

Anyone in the Coralville / IC area have anything that they would want to sell? Colorful / easy / reasonable prices with minimal light requirements. I'm planning to upgrade to LEDs soon, right now I have PC's.

Thanks!

2. SPS with PC's might be iffy depending on your exact setup and the coral.

I would first suggest you join GIRS.
    Fellow hobbyist always have reasonable prices and no shipping when you pick them up.
    A paid member just posted the following for sale in the last hour in the CLUB ONLY Buy/Sell/Trade forum: (worth $20 to join if you ask me)

Tri-color (2 rows of 4) - $25 & $30; Red cap (3" x 4") - $20; Green cap - $5; Orange digi colony - $25; German blue digi (2 1/2 - 3") - $20; Purple stylo colony - $35

[​IMG]

Cyphastrea - minefield, meteor shower, green with orange polyps - $20

[​IMG]

Setosa - $20 & $25; 3 Tri-colored valida - $35 & $40; 3 Red Dragon - $25, $30, and $45; 3 Blue tip green slimer - $15-$25

[​IMG]

Blue tip green slimer - $20 & $25; Austera - $25 & $35; Red dragon $25; Setosa - $15

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. Liveaquaria.com has free shipping on orders over $99, but I wouldn't say their prices are reasonable.
    Only order from Driver's Den personally.

Uniquecorals.com has free shipping over $150 (otherwise $25), but again I wouldn't say their prices are reasonable.

Cultivatedreef.com sometimes has deals/coupons for free shipping at $149 /$99 (you have to check their sponsor thread on reef2reef.com for the coupon code).
    I would say they actually do have reasonable prices as far as online corals go.

I've ordered from all three above multiple times they haven't disappointed.

4. Tolkein6

Coralville
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I took your advice and joined. Do the Coralville / IC members ever get together for tank tours swap meets etc. I belonged years ago and these things occurred.

5. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    They have in the past. I think it’s been a while. Probably should arrange one again soon. I would be open to have my tank on a tour.

6. World Wide Corals has a pretty low shipping of $25. They sometimes will have “live sales” too which can be pretty exciting to participate in. I’ll be getting my first order from them this Friday.

7. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    WWC M-F delivery is $25, if you want Saturday delivery it is $40. eBay purchases are $40. eBay purchases that happen during a livesale can combine with the $25 shipping.

Local trades are always going to be the most cost effective, but if you want those unique items, be prepared to spend more. Next up for cost would be the frag swaps. I'm a big fan of WWC quality, selection, and customer service, but you will definitely pay for it. Best bet with them is to get lucky on the livesales and eBay auctions for cheap buys and buy enough to offset the shipping cost per item

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. Only reason why I am actually getting some coral from WWC tomorrow is because I ended up getting “lucky” during their live sale last weekend

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    My blue box comes tomorrow as well :cool:

10. Out of curiosity, what did you end up getting from the Live Sale? Also, anything special I should do or expect from WWC? This is my first time getting coral online (most of mine is from local sources).

11. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Sending a PM, as not to hijack this thread, unless the OP wants to know as well