1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

When not to buy a fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aussie, Feb 7, 2016.

1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    so I went into pets play house in Cedar Rapids saw a copperband butterfly and a purple queen anthias ..... Anyway long story short ask if he could feed the butterfly since the rule of thumb is to watch and see if they eat, he said no because I already feed the fish, so in turn I said ok then I don't want it and walked out with my hundred bucks in hand.....

Moral of the story some fish you have to see eat other wise your fighting an up hill battle and on picky eaters

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Well played

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Agree with ya, we always ask to see the fish eat. Weather they feed or not, the fish still at the least pick at it.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I do that with all fish purchases. I would have walked out too.

5. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Yeah I been burn and we all know copperband mandarins and a few other fish just don't eat so to get one is a winner

6. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Another joint that with a little attention they could do one hell of a salt water business. They choose to do the bare minimum. Still I tend to stop by for a few dry goods hoping that one day they will turn the corner. Well played Aussie

7. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I've only bought 2 fish from pets playhouse but I asked the older lady instead (I think she is the one that takes care of the salt water fish?) and she fed them for me before the purchase. Next time you would ask her instead.

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Most stores will do this if you ask them - they'll hold off on feeding them so you can be there, if you're serious about buying the fish. Sounds like the timing was not right

9. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    He should have at least countered with "I just fed them, but if you can swing by later today I'll feed it for you - or you can stop here tomorrow"

Guy lost a sale because he didn't think for a few seconds about it.

10. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    They always have the best fresh water in the state you can drop in and they always have something cool you can't get anywhere else. they have never been to great at saltwater

11. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    You should go back to try again. Even if it is not to buy the fish but to see if they give you the same excuse. Would be good to know if we can trust these guys.

12. tangman

tangman

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    The funny thing is my fish will eat 10 times a day if they could
    --- Auto-Merged, Feb 9, 2016, Original Post: Feb 9, 2016 ---
    Maybe that's why I had to buy that big skimmer

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. They used to be ok at saltwater 3 years ago with their big frag tank but they tore it down. Still super awesome at freshwater.
    It depends who you ask, my best advice would be the older lady and older guy are the store owners and they are very helpful when you ask them.
    I got a purple tip fat tentacle torch coral and two true percula clowns from them last month and they are super healthy.
    Its a hit or miss. It depends how they arrived after delivery.
    Although, their saltwater systems are on minimum side, it is still better compared from Petco in my area.
    [​IMG]

14. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I would disagree. I was looking at a tang and asked if I could see it eat. I talked to the older guy who is the owner. I was told "no, they throw up". I said ok and stood there kinda looking at it. I dont know if he thought it was the price that I was stuck on, which it wasnt it was only around $40. But he goes on to say that people have a hard time buying expensive fish and compared it to taking your family to the movies. His idea was "you take your family to a movie and get a couple hours enjoyment, you get the fish and get a couple weeks enjoyment before it dies, you got more out of the fish than the movie". I didnt exactly agree with that. I also bought multiple fish at once and was looking at a $100 clown, I asked what price he could do and he seemed almost mad and says "what it says on the tank, I dont do deals thats how you go out of business." I get deals everywhere I go and all of them are still in business.

15. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    He has had that $100 clownfish for a few months now. I'm surprised he wont make a deal to move old product out and get new product in. I've also noticed they mislabel fish or forget to put the fish/price on the tank.

16. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Your talking about the midnight clown that fish has been there for about a two years when I was starting up..... I wish people put in our area put prices on there stuff, you know how much you want to spend ......

17. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It was last year when they had a bunch of flurrys and midnights. I think they are down to 1 midnight now and just got a bunch of baby snowflakes. One of which was almost dead on the bottom of the tank.