1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Tank Build! What is your ATO container?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the process of setting up a 120 gal and was wondering what everybody here is using for an ATO reservoir. If you wouldn't mind sharing and posting a picture, that would be great! Thanks!

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    On one tank I use a 5 gallon bucket on another I use a 10 gallon aquarium with glass lid on the other I use a 20 gallon aquarium with lid.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I want my ATO to support one week of water. My 30 gal cube tank and 20 gal frag tanks use 2 gal buckets. My 75 gal tank has an 8 gal bucket (Actually its a 7.9 gal bucket designed for wine/beer making). Its the largest I could fit in my cabinet next to my sump.

4. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    That is my issue... Getting it to fit under the tank with the sump in there too.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    What dimensions of space do you have available for the ATO container?

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    The tank I use the 10 gallon on has a 40 breeder sump and the 10 gallon just fits next to it in the stand.

7. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If I remember correctly I've got like 9 - 10 inches left in the stand. This is width wise. I've got plenty of room depth wise. So I would want something fairly narrow, and then maximize what I can in depth and height to get as much capacity as possible.

8. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I also have a 40 breeder sump however with the way I've got my plumbing laid out I'm not able to move my sump all the way to one side. It's close.. like within 2 -3 inches. As such I'm pretty sure I don't have the room to get a 10 in there beside it. You've got my wondering what the dimensions are on some other tanks though.

9. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
  10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I use the 5g bucket technique, to me the most important aspect of planning this is worst-case-scenario overflow prevention

Shut off your return pump and mark the max water level rise in the sump. The leftover space should be able to take your entire ATO reservoir and not overflow. This way if 1) you fill ATO 2) the pump sticks and empties it all 3) you lose power - you don't overflow.

Either that, or you have a volume limiter on your ATO such that it cannot empty more than X gallons in one operation period, like the JBJ ATO system or something like that (Apex programming, etc). But then you're relying on that to work, better than nothing if you have a big ATO though

11. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for link Maureen! That might just work. I will have to re-measure when I get home. Bud - Good thought process. Last thing I need is a mess.

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that! I may look into that as well. I was just going to use a 10 gal tank but would like something with a little better dimensions to work with.

@Derek34@Derek34 I evaporate about 1.5 gallons a day right now in my 180 with 40 breeder sump just to give you some what of an idea on what to expect.

13. xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Is that with your tank covered or open top?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It's open top.

16. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I have the same style of jug as xiaoxiy. LFS sells RO and saltwater in them for $3 I think so when I filled my tank I bought 15 gal of water and now have 3 laying around that I use for ATO and water changes. When my ATO reservoir starts getting low I just fill up another and swap them out as opposed to having to shut my ATO off while the container gets filled.

17. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    We have a 30 gallon tank ATO reservoir for our 210 and a 75 gallon tank for our 300 ATO reservoir.

18. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Wow Dave. Just wow. o_O

I have a 5 gallon bucket. I feel so inadequate lol

19. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Check into those small Mr Aqua tanks. I think that' the name. Those are pretty narrow and may work. Or look into making or having an acrylic reservoir made.

20. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Derek, I had the same amount of space it sounds like, as you do. I have a 120 with a 40 gal breeder under the stand for my sump. I would have used a bucket since it is cheap if the space had allowed. I like the container that I showed you and I have room for that beside the sump with the space in front of the ATO container for 2 thin 1,o5 gal jugs from BRS for 2 part dosing. Tight fit but it works.