1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

What Does Greater Iowa Reef Society Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ray/Jen_Reefin, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Just putting a question out there for everyone? Sit back and think of it..

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Not only its a good club to be a part of for a very low cost. Monthly gatherings with useful information, on stuff that you may know, or that you may not know, and stuff that could really floor you. It is full of different people with different advice that could just blow your mind, Many years of experience. Hell even better than a library. Full of many different resources.
    But 2 years ago we met a person in this club that is now a very close friend of mine and @Jen/Reefin@Jen/Reefin.
    A person that we can call on if we need anything, and can leave our home too if we go on vacation. With that said what is your input on the club?

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would not be in the hobby if not for the club.

It really helped me get going many years ago.

To me it is a good place to meet others who is passionate about what we do. This hobby is very tiny compared to so many others we really need to network with each other for information, ideas, help, etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I come here to remind myself that while I am legally insane for having reef tanks, all of you are screwed as well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  5. To me it's been an invaluable tool to getting one of my favorite hobbies back to where it was at one point.

I grew up in Ventura, California about 10 minute walk from the beach. I moved to the Midwest for work almost 20 years ago and no matter how much I visit, I always miss the ocean.

In a weird way, the tank helps me in many ways. After a tough day at work, I can sit and watch the tank and it helps me relax. I sit and watch it with my kids and they are constantly pointing out things I don't notice.

I get a lot of enjoyment from the tank and the knowledge I've gotten here in my short time has all worked and been invaluable.

Thank you.

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    This club to me means far more than words could ever describe. I've been a member since 2002 or so, been on the board, watch it grow like a child. I've made friends, enemy's, had some of the best discussions and arguments about this hobby a guy could wish for. Met and hung out with some of the brightest minds in the hobby, and what I'd consider some of the brightest and most driven hobbiest in the hobby. This club went from 10 or 12 members to holding MACNA, how many clubs can say that, really? In a matter of a decade to go from less than 15 members to MACNA.....thats something to be proud of, be proud to say this club is still going strong, we are still about what this club started for, to help hobbiest start and keep reef tanks to the best of their ability. Thats what this club means to me

7. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Bumping thread. Still receiving input.

8. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0

9. StoneFunk

Polk City, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 2 / -0
    Part of the reason I got back into this hobby was due to oldest 2 year old child. He started traveling with us when he was 3 months and always loves going to the various aquariums around the country. Over the past 8ish months, I have been telling him all of the names of our various tank inhabitants. Getting a nice new coral is awesome, but it doesn't compare to my toddler coming up and yelling "oohchin" when he spots the urchin or wanting to help clean the tank with the mag-float. The things I have learned so far from the club will continue to help me keep the tank in pristine condition so hopefully I can teach him the hobby if he decided he wants a tank some day.

10. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
  11. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    One of the things this club means to me is friendship, My wife and I have met so many new friends since joining this club and when I say friends I mean close friends ones we talk to on a regular basis now , Chlora,, starting the Burlington region was not an easy thing to do but with help she got it done , Bill,, Joe, Cathy, Cindy all the way down in Keokuk and the list goes on of the new people we have met just from our region and thats not to mention the ones from the other regions that all have one thing in commen we love our aquariums, we have a problem we call someone from the club for help , as Joe said to me just yesterday after having a small problem with his tank he couldn't figure out ,he said I call you and I call Bill and maybe the more heads we get together we figure it out and thats what this club is all about,,

12. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I joined for the opportunity to learn and to grow in my knowledge of this hobby. To meet people in Iowa with the same interests and build friendships. To me that is the foundation of GIRS and it always should be.

13. I just came here for the chicks.
    --- Auto-Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    And the beer