1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? What do you use to test pH?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffmr4, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Wondering what you use to test pH? I've tried salifert and api.

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    My apex controller

3. Anyone use anything that is $50 or less that is decent?

4. Jesse Davis

Jesse Davis Inactive

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have the Hanna testers and love it

5. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I have an API test kit that I use only occasionally if I think something is up with the tank. I've read and been told not to chase pH so I really don't worry about it myself.

Now, BRS Investigates most recent video I think is starting to look into how pH can effect coral growth and whether or not a higher pH makes coral grow faster. Depending on what they find I may start worrying about it a bit more. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If you're wanting something electronic for quick and easy, or something that is always in the tank there are several on BRS to choose from. I don't have any personal experience with anything but an apex in that regard. But generally the probes are the same, and it's just a conversion from a voltage reading that the display is showing. Can't see one being much different than the other with a high quality probe.

It's nice to have that instant readout when you're looking at the tank. pH does vary quite a bit throughout the day, and knowing what effects dosing or something is having on the tank is nice to monitor as well.

Agree on the not chasing pH part. And i think the reasoning behind that is because when you chase pH you cause swings in the pH. Corals don't necessarily like that. If you have low pH and can do things to increase and hold a stable pH I think you will see benefits.
    Simple things like running a fresh air line to your skimmer can have fairly substantial effects on the pH level of the tank. The other big thing for kalk and 2 part dosers is when and how you dose.

7. Thank you for all the replies. I was looking for something quick and easy and instant. I looked at some at brs, specifically those in a little bit lower price range, like the milwuakee ph tester and the hanna one but it always seemed like in the reviews many people were unhappy with them. Anyway, thank you for the replies.