1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Waterloo/Cedar Falls "Tech Tour" signup(Nov. 21st at 2:00)

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by adampottebaum, Oct 28, 2010.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    We're going to have a tank tour on November 21st(Sunday) with an emphasis on new technology at each stop. We're looking for cool gadgets/gismos to show off, along with the added benefit of letting people see your tank to get ideas or give ideas on things we can all improve on.
    I'm working on a DIY LED fixture next week that I'll bring, Casey has a Hana Phosphate checker to bring, and Craig has a Par meter that I'll volunteer him to let us use! Even if you can't be a stop, try to bring something along to show!
    I'm going to give out FREE mangroves to anyone who signs up to attend, brings a gadget, or has their place as a stop. You need to sign up though so I can get the mangrove(s) packed up ahead of time.
    This will be a great time to show off some nice corals that you pick up at Fall Fest next weekend!
    Let me know if you'd like to be a stop, will be attending, or have something cool to bring!
    -Adam

2. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm still unsure of what area of Cedar Falls/Waterloo this will be yet, we'll know when more people sign up...

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What an awesome idea!

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a great idea. I hope I'm able to drive up for that one! If I am, I'll bring a Pinpoint Calcium monitor.

--AJ

5. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Craig
    Will your new store be ready for the tour?

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Not 100%, but you are more then welcome to do a preview & use it as a meeting place.

7. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Actually, if we did head that way, Josh Heinen said he could be a stop. I talked to him earlier about this, he only lives 2 blocks from Craig's store. He's got a nice 75 gallon tank with an Apex and a vortech to show off.

8. Big John

Big John Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adam you dont know how bad I want to join you guys on this, but I'm no where near the level you guys are at! I'm having fun with my BUDGIT TANK and I've got a lot to learn, I'd be embarassed for any of you to see my 75 gal. setup!

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Big John on 10/29/2010 08:27 PM
    Adam you dont know how bad I want to join you guys on this, but I'm no where near the level you guys are at! I'm having fun with my BUDGIT TANK and I've got a lot to learn, I'd be embarassed for any of you to see my 75 gal. setup!
    Dont be, we were all there once.
    You get nice free advice & a chance to show what you have done so far.

10. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No worries on the tech stuff, to this day I do not use a controller and don't think it would make anything of mine better.  Sometimes simplicity is the most enjoyable.

11. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I should be able to be a stop if you need more. Right now im growing alot of algae lol because my bulbs are getting bad. Hopefully by then i can get it cleared up or at least better 
    The tank is a 210. I just bought a apex a few months ago and should have that all up and running by then. I also have it hooked to a droid for remote access.
    Brian

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have an ACIII and it's just basically a super expensive timer...

13. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 10/30/2010 10:15 PM

Posted By rc1214b on 10/30/2010 12:17 AM

No worries on the tech stuff, to this day I do not use a controller and don't think it would make anything of mine better.  Sometimes simplicity is the most enjoyable.
    I have an ACIII and it's just basically a super expensive timer...
    Lol, that's because you're like Yoda of the reefworld
    BTW.. I will try to make it to this event, sounds interesting

14. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are going to come up and could bring our nano wavemaker.

15. waterfowler

waterfowler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm in for the tour and if it works out my place can be a stop.

16. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to work that day but could probably get it off. I could show mine as well as the PIPAC tank. Nothing to show off but I am trying to get an MP60 and DIY LED project approved for the restaurant tank.
    Josh

17. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the interest! Make sure to let everyone who would possibly want to attend this event know about it. A lot of people don't get on the computers very often and miss things like this. I'll be sending out a bulk email soon, but that also goes unreceived a lot of the time.

So far for volunteers we have:
    Craig's Store("Anemones, Clowns, and Corals")
    John Mummelthie
    Brian King
    Josh Heinen
    Josh Wessels(home and PIPAC)

I know there's more people out there who are too quiet to speak up! Let's see some new tanks!

18. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I would like to attend because I could use some more new technology, although this also means I don't have any new technology to offer.

19. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    That's alright that you don't have anything to bring Matt, the worst thing that could happen if no one brings anything would be having an awesome tank tour instead of an awesome tank tour with cool gadgets/gismos at each stop. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

20. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I also came up with a couple more things I'll bring, along with my DIY LEDs:

- Refractometer
    - Kill-A-Watt electricity meter.