1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Water Detection Kit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgehrke, Nov 27, 2013.

1. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I wonder how hard it would be to modify it so that it could be used by an Apex break out box.

If it's doable, that could be a super cheap but useful apex add-on.

3. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They have a humidity breakout board and chip too.
    Somebody with a strong tinkering ability could probably hook it up.
    I have a reef angel that I can buy a set of IO ports for. I think this would make it fairly easy to hook up.

4. Tickyty

Tickyty Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should be very easy for an Apex. It essentially would operate like a float switch. When water is present it would close the circuit and should send the signal.

5. areefoffaith

areefoffaith Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they have those at menards

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one from menards in my stand next to my sump....super loud & annoying when I splash water on the floor of my stand! It costs about $12 and has a plastic enclosure, no soldering needed.

JB -- I think I saw somewhere where someone created a diy leak sensor for their apex. They had 2 pieces of aluminum tape run parallel to each other about 1/16" apart. Just a small bead of water would complete/close the circuit. I can't remember if there was anything else needed other than the i/o box and the tape/wires connecting the tape to the i/o box. Seems like it would be super cheap and you could make the sensor as long/short as you wished to run the whole length of your tank or even surround your whole tank if needed.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2099669&highlight=breakout+box

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1958259&highlight=breakout+box

a couple of examples I had bookmarked. Never got around to building one, but its still on the long list of things to do.