1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Vinegar as a cleaner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wouldtick, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    Holly cow does vinegar work at removing saltwater buildup, algae, gunk, hard crusted on stuff. I cleaned this equipment that i inherited and it looks amazing. The sicce pump is new and didnt need cleaned. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    I love it I buy it at bulk at Sam's wholesale. And use the s**** out of it!

3. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    I bought a case at the dollar store but will buy at costco next time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I love it! I picked up a 90 from another member last month, it had heavy coraline buildup on the back wall. Swabbed some white vinegar all over it and you could hear the reaction happening - the hiss was very audible.

Once I get a few more steps done, I'll have a nice build thread going. Been documenting every step:)

5. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    As an acid Vinegar can cause issue with plastics (burning them and making them more brittle) aside from that some rubbers can breakdown in Vinegar. For things like coraline or silicone in general all good.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I use a ton of it, 2g jugs also available at Costco :)

A tip for cleaning tanks: don't use diluted vinegar in water. Take paper towels (I use the ones in the box from Lowes) and get them wet with vinegar and squeeze out a bit. Then "stick" them to the areas you want to soak. After they are in place, pour straight vinegar over them using a small cup. This keeps pure vinegar in contact with the crusted on stuff. "refresh" every 5 minutes or so. If you can, tip the tank toward the side you are treating and then just scoop up the drained-out vinegar and pour back over the paper towel. In about 30 minutes or so, remove the towels and scrape. Repeat if necessary.

I've done this to old acrylic tanks with years of coralline and they clean up like brand new.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Vinegar is generally 5% acetic acid. It is true that prolonged exposure of straight acetic acid (I have over a gallon of Glacial Acetic Acid for use in bonding acrylic) will cause crazing, and fast, the store-bought stuff is pretty safe to use for a short term treatment.

I don't think I heard about the rubber thing though. Makes sense. Also a good reason to use silicone o-rings and suction cups though.

8. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Yeah for sure, I didn't mean to make it sound so drastic. Not going to melt your hand or plastics from the get go. It's mainly a problem in cheaper equipment's suction cups and seals. That is where you will find issues with the vinegar and rubbers pretty quick. Vinegar and silicone is 100% compatible and should not cause any damage.

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Exactly what I have done. Straight vinegar soaked paper towels. Let it do the work and then it's an easy wash after that.

10. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    That is how I got that crusty sump clean. strait Vinegar and a 3m scrubby pad and a hand bristle brush, and a tooth brush. no force needed, Works Fabulously.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    As long as you're careful! I've scratched glass with a 3M scrubby - the actual 3M brand, off-brands are less dangerous. And never on acrylic ouch!