1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Uh oh... Acro Eating Flatworms.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 1172, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I'm pretty certain that I have AEFW in my tank. A large amount of my acros aren't doing too hot. They look stressed, either losing color or browning out. At first I figured it was the lighting. So I adjusted that to match what is good for acros. Next up, I tested my water. Alk was out of whack, but has since stabilized. So then I thought I had a nutrient load that was too high. Nope, Hanna checker and API (Yes, I know they're not the best) all checked out. This tank hasn't been set up for TOO long, so it's not the most stable. However, I didn't think I'd have so many issues with acros and could solve them. Fast forward to this morning. I shone a light on the acros in the dark and noticed the least healthy appearing colonies all had round spots of missing tissue. Just a few minutes ago, I pulled my bonsai and saw that the entire back side that I couldn't see was gone. I guess the goal of this post is to 1. see if anybody has any recommendations, 2. see if anybody can help a guy out with a couple decently priced frags (I'm probably going to have to throw out 9). This seriously bums me out because a large quantity of these frags were going to look really sweet. Anyway, thanks for reading if you've stuck with this post long enough.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Can you pull all your corals and treat and QT out of the main tank?

3. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I just set up a 10 gallon with a power filter and heater. I also ordered a small Kessil light, some Bayer insecticide, and a small powerhead. The plan is to QT for about 8 weeks, dipping about once a week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose some coral, but a good portion of my frags are looking okay, if not affected at all. So, fingers crossed that QT and dipping works!!

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I'm not entirely up to speed on the lifecycle of those little bastards, but make sure you do the research on when and how to dip and how long to QT to ensure you get the adults and any eggs.

5. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Use flatworm exit. After dosing, make sure to use plenty of carbon and have a WC ready. When they die, they release a toxin. But make sure u find them before dosing. Take ur worst piece and dip in a small container, using coral rx. This stuff is clear so u will easily b able to see the flatworms fall off the coral.