1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Two Questions -- Cross post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cameron, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I've got a 14 gallon biocube and got some mushrooms at Spring fest and now they're taking over. Can you somehow detach and move them? My second question, is pre-mushroom, I was running a FOWLR, but lately I've been getting spots where the rocks are turning bleach white. My thought is Calcium, but would appreciate some advice. I don't have a calcium test kit.

2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    To move the shrooms, you can "Chip them off the rocks" by using the flat head of a screwdriver and a hammer. Pointing the flow from a powerhead at the mushrooms could make them detach also but could take some time.

I doubt very much Cameron that the bleach white areas are caused from calcium. If there was Coralline algae on the rock and has now come off or something was on the rock and is now gone, the rock can be white. Calcium buildup would be seen on equipment such as heaters, pumps, etc. As long as everything is doing good, I would not worry about white areas on rocks.

3. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Dang shroom. Too much of a good thing, I wonder what I should do with the excess. I doubt it anyone wants any of it. Regarding calcium, I meant lack of calcium. I don't add supplements and I'm wondering if the shroom has absorbed it all. I'll keep an eye on the white patches and if it spread, I'll take a pic and post.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  4. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Well scraped the shroom of. It really didn't like it. Ejected out some thick orange goo. Jammed it into a rock nook and see if it stays/lives. I find that using a straw used for bubble tea cut to shape makes a good flexible scraper.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    If you do not remove all of it, it/they will grow back.

6. Cameron

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    It seems to be the nature of saltwater aquariums that things die almost immediately or they grow like weeds. Well at least they're not some mysterious algae that seem to crop up on a regular basis.