1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The work tank!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zach, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    So I was gifted a 14 gal biocube with the requirement that I enjoy it as much as the previous owner did. And without a clean way to plumb it it to the houses main system I figured might as well take it to work! So here's the beginning of the work tank thread! So far I have some sand....

uploadfromtaptalk1441286769455.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The tank was clearly dosed. The coralline was literally 1/8 thick on the lower part of the tank. The lighting was ruined and burned up. So I stripped out the hood. Burned the tank down with vinegar, which had to sit for TWO DAYS before I could get everything off of it. Cleaned out the pump and overflow areas, and made a couple mods to the system, namely a swirling head for the pump, a cut here and there for the skimmer. I got a PAR30 and gooseneck from China. I think the par 30 is going to work out for the plan.

The Plan: (and I would LOVE input on this)
    Small sand bed, (1 inch or so) of sugar sized very live sand.
    Small rockscape with specific identifiers and structure (artsy)
    livestock:
    Crab and shrimp heavy is ideal. Granted in 14 gallon, I am thinking a decorator crab and a couple cleaner shrimp will be plenty.
    Fish: Clown Goby, a couple neon goby, a court jester. something small and active. (all of these are or's not all these fish)
    Coral: Zoa Garden, Rics/yuma/mushrroms in general
    Nems: Possible a pink rock anemone.

Thoughts plans ideas? I am working on the rock scape tomorrow after work, I am thinking a couple decorative pieces, and a bit of cave action.

3. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I was a big fan of the ceramic rock in my reef - vidarock. I would also say be sure you can reach all the sand to vacuum when planning the layout. I grew SPS in my biocube 14 and they got big enough I couldn't reach the sand, eventually I had trouble that I traced to the filthy sandbed. IME in a tank that size it's hard for cleaners to get around and relatively quickly the detritus will get to be a problem. I wouldn't go with any sand after my experience.

4. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I got it filled before I left. Settling and clean up. I will be building the cave tonight methinks. And in the interim will be drilling out the hood. The par30 actually looks better way close to the waterline.[​IMG]

5. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hood skimmer light and ato installed and happy so far. First water change done and things are looking happy. Will build the scape tonight and be applying it tomorrow me thinks.

[​IMG]

sent from fone, please excuse miss typed and hippos.

6. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Looks like a nice tranquilizing, peaceful area. I always liked a tank in the office. Stress reliving.

7. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Nice touch wearing the GIRS shirt in the reflection.

8. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    I used the fine live sand. It looks nice , but it moves A LOT. I tried to get flow along the bottom and blew all the sand up in piles and had bare glass all over. Then I got a blenny. Now he causes dust storms when he jets after food or attacks the rocks for food. I am looking for a way to put in something to hold it down better.

9. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @FFrost@FFrost How old is the tank? I use sugar sand in all my builds, and yes the first 6-9 months is a dust battle. after the local flora and fauna settle into the sand it stays putt pretty well.

10. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Fence13@Fence13 Thanks! I had noticed it in the pic after I posted it and was wondering if anyone else was going to catch it. Of course I wear a tshirt and shorts to work today and HR comes down to tell me we have an interview at 1130... great!

11. FFrost

Adel
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    That must be the problem. Tank is only 5 months old. Hopefully it will settle down.
    Thanks

12. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Finished the scape up. Should install it tomorrow. Will look something like these guys here with the large flower fixture and then the little dragon shaped atolls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Looking good!

14. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    Post an object for scale. I want to be able to relate to its size!

15. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Aquascaped!

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    At least HR did not say you couldn't wear the shirt!

17. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Got a little livestock rocking in the tanks now!

Two orange skunk ac clowns
    A sharknose ac goby
    A hermit crab
    A couple margarita snails
    A couple Nassarius snails
    And a skunk cleaner shrimp
    and a handful of Zoa. And a pipe organ I had sitting around.

[​IMG][​IMG]