1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The "Trickle tickle"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zach, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    How long did it take for YOU to get the "Trickle Tickle"?

For those that don't know it. The tickle is like the spidey sense of the reefing world. Its an inane ability to hear trickling water that is out of place in your environment and typically means something is clogged broke or leaking. It can pull you out a dead sleep from two floors away... You just feel it...

for me, it was in my youth in creating a coil filter from an old boat coolant barrel. The plumbing was set up with no breather, which meant that the barrel which sat about 3 foot taller than the sump tank would have a siphon lock the moment it was full and 30 gallons of water would then siphon out of the barrel and into the sump and then onto the floor.... My dear mother did NOT kill me... Though she would have been better off had she... ;)

2. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0
    I developed it back in my undergravel filter freshwater days as a kid. I could tell from the bubble frequency when the tubes and carbon needed cleaned and replaced. Now with my reeftank I can tell by sound from upstairs when my anti-siphon air line in my overflow is clogged with salt creep.

3. wouldtick Well-Known ReefKeeper

waukee
    Ratings:
    +85 / 3 / -0
    Lol. I dont have it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    This. I picked it up listening to my tank as I fell asleep, when I was 6. It's stuck with me since.