1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The ocean tried to claim us

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DangerJ, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    So I returned from Belize at 2:30am yesterday and wanted to share a bit about our experience at the reef.

Originally I had several multi-tank dives scheduled but we pulled them and swapped for a quick snorkeling trip at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark Ray Alley, and Conch Graveyard for time considerations. Due to that ice storm last week we got stuck in Dallas overnight and lost our scheduled day of diving.

A party of 8 led by a Belizian guide hit up HCMR. My wife is not a strong swimmer, and three in our group had never been in the ocean before.

The guide was careless and got excited by a group of eagle rays gliding through the channel and had us follow. This was during an outgoing tide and we soon found ourselves in a rip current. The last thing I remember the guide saying was "there's reef sharks ahead, we need to turn around"

In a matter of seconds three from our group (two of which had never been in the ocean before) were 20 yards down current and my wife became sick from the increased waves.

So I grabbed her and flipped her on her back and started kicking as hard as I could to get her out of the current.... Well for those who haven't been to HCMR, the reef sticks up out of the water on either side of the channel. I got slammed into the reef pretty bad and my legs got cut up.

I refused to allow us to get swept out to sea or even worse picked up by one of the 8-10ft waves and crushed - the only option was to swim against the current. Took about 10 minutes but I got her out and by this time several other guides had noticed what was happening and they acted accordingly.

A rescue boat was deployed and nearly capsized when the captain didn't keep the bow pointed into the waves. It had to give up and come back into the bay. Another park ranger went around to another another opening and recovered the 3 from our group who were a few hundred yards out to sea at that point.

Evidently I was bleeding the whole time so when I got back on the boat it was noticeable. Thankfully no sharks were curious. Everyone made it out alright without serious injury.

Respect the sea. Understand tides. Get a good guide. Don't chase animals that live there, they can go places you can't.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that sounds scary and dangerous. Glad you both are home safe and sound!

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Wow, that sounds scary.
    We went there a few years ago and I thought it was calm and safe. We either had a great guide or lucked out with the tide. I do remember hearing about a drowning there later and thought to myself how could anyone drown there. The ocean does get real right on the other side of the reef.

4. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    What an experience! I'm glad you made it out safe and sound. You must be a strong swimmer to be able to swim against the current that long and all the while supporting your wife. She's got alot to be thankful for with you!

5. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I'm a regular fish in the water :). Wife's happy, her mother even more so.

It's a lot like a bathtub full of water with the drain pulled. If you're not near the drain, the water is calm and without significant current. Our guide led us straight into the drain. There have been a handful of drownings/deaths at that same spot in the past few years.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Dang, what an idiot of a guide!!

Glad you made it through the ordeal safe...wow...

7. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    We've done the snorkeling there before and never had a problem. Usually there were several other boats around so we felt safe. Glad to hear you are ok.