1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! The fish room begins....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LiLNicky, Dec 13, 2015.

1. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    More to come but I figured most would love this

Attached Files:

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    That first pic is freakin me out. Is the base of that stand smaller than the tank footprint??

3. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    I'm going to make a new stand. A friend gave it to me to use in the mean time being as the previous owner used cinder blocks and I didnt want to redo that

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looking good Nick.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    That is awesome.

What is your humidity plan?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    Thanks Jeremy I was just glad to get the stuff into my house. That big tank is heavy as hell.

7. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    Thanks Craig!! I don't have a plan yet for humidity but its on my mind and will need to be addressed. Hoping you could give me some pointers on that subject

8. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Well its good you got the windows down there. Do they open?

9. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    yeah the windows open and will help. The a/c in the summer will take care of the humidity pretty well I imagine. Cant open the windows in the winter all the time. Ill probly just get dehumidifier.

10. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    bathroom exhaust fan and dehumidifier. You can set them both to run on humidistats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Hey Nick. I just have a dehumidifier in my basement. But the addition of an exam st fan on a humidastat is good idea. I don't think the dehumidifier is enough. I still get a little condensation on windows. Not a lot but enough to have to clean my window sill every once and a while

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    If it's a room that's mostly closed off from the rest of the house an exhaust fan can pull out a lot of the moisture. If its a big open room it's not nearly as effective.
    I keep my dehumidifier in the adjoining laundry room and run it right into the floor drain.

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    lots of water in a house is a great way to ruin all the windows.

If you have 100-200 gallons, a large dehumidifier and exhaust fan will suffice. If you have more then that I recommend an air exchanger in the room.

14. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    Been a while since I posted but here is an update. It's been a long year but long story short I updated the service in the house to 200 amp and wired in dedicated circuits for the tank and other future tanks. It was a good thing I did some new wiring cause it allowed some not so great wiring jobs by the previous owner to be discovered and corrected. So the whole thing was 1 step forward 5 back. Finally got that crap straightened out and onto drywall repair I went. Repainted the basement and installed some new led can lights. Had other issues with the house that held up play money but I got through it. I redid my Rodi storage station and got it operational. The tank currently has some water in it to double check for leaks and waiting for more water to be made. Word of advice I bought the cepex ball valves from BRS which are awesome but be careful how loose you adjust them.....they wont leak externally....but will internally lol. Thankfully I checked on it at the right moment because it would have been a whole basement fish tank. Anyways here are a couple recent pics to drool over.

15. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    Couple of the plumbing which I painted black, then 1 of the tank in place, and then 1 of the water storage

Attached Files:

16. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Looking good Nick