1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

The Aquarium Database Project

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Turbo's Aquatics, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Turbo's Aquatics Well-Known ReefKeeper Vendor

West Des Moines, IA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Per my recent post, I have just made my website live.

One of the thing I eventually hope to accomplish is the creation of an Aquarium Database.

The Aquarium Database Project

I am putting out a "call to arms" to any geeks out there that would like to help. Nerds and dweebs are also included. I need some assistance with the conceptualization of this project, feasibility, etc.

This is a rather ambitous project. What I intend to create (or rather, have created for me) is a database that allows a user to enter in nearly every aspect of their system from the physical components down to the inhabitants. I also would like to have the capability for users to enter status updates for various parameters such as test results, visual items, growth of corals, etc. This would provide historical data that others could use to locate users with similar setups, inhabitants, issues, solutions, etc.

So I'm throwing out a feeler here to anyone who may have a general idea of how to accomplish this, and how and if it is possible to integrate such a database into the vBulletin 4.2 engine.

From a limited Google search, it doesn't appear that anyone has actually attempted to do anything like this. My hope is that over the course of several years, this database can be used to establish patterns of success and failure, and relate those to the various parameters of the system.

We all know the "this worked for me" type of response that so many people get when asking a question, and such an answer is almost always dependant on too many factors to quantify in a quick response. Over time, my proposed database would be able to narrow down the factors that seem to positively and negatively affect various inhabitants of the system

Originally, my conceptualization of this project was centered around those who ran an Algae Scrubber in their system, because there seems to be a lack of hard data regarding what actually works best. However, it seems that limiting the scope of the project in such a way would defeat the purpose of growing a truly scientificly useable database.

If you would like to help, let me know. I'm going to be putting together a specification of sorts that I hope will spell out everything I want to be able to do.

Thanks

Bud