1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? That moment when.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MadManMadrid, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    you jump out of the shower singing i can see clearly now. get dressed to go to work walk past your fish tank and hear a gurgling noise coming from the tank. open the cabinet door and notice your pump is dry pumping and your skimmer is pumping all the water onto the carpet. i turn on my lights to the tank and the water is all cloudy the only water movement is from the circ pump. and you see all your coral oozing slime and a fish on its side. i jumped into action and got my air pump out started my RODI unit up moved all my coral from my tank to a ten gallon tank that would fit. after about three coral losses and a fish right at this moment its minimal damage than what it could be some coral is still touch and go. so obviously the tank crashed now. what advice do you guys have to bring back the tank? i did a 33% water change already started running carbon to pull out some toxins the zoos maybe have released i have my skimmer running pretty wet. what else can be done besides time? thanks for the help!

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 3
    • List
  2. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Oh man sorry to hear that!

Do you know why the skimmer was doing that?

You can try dipping all of your corals in coral rx to see if that will help.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Carbon and water changes, and fix whatever caused your issue in the first place.
    If you had water circulation from internal pumps I wouldn't think a lack of oxygen in the water causing the die off.
    Could the tank got contaminated with chemicals or something? That could surely cause die off, cloudy water, and a skimmer to go crazy.

4. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    the tank was fine at midnight and the girlfriend said the tank was fine at 5am. i saw the tank at 745 am when it was running dry. so the only options i can think of is
    1: a fish i had in my sump died (he was too mean to keep with others) and caused the skimmer to go crazy i haven't seen him since this morning.
    2: the nem took a monster crap.
    other than that i got no idea what it could have been that could have made the skimmer go crazy.
    water wasn't going down to the sump it was just in the display and the only thing that was keeping the water moving was the circ pump so i just figured it could have been oxygen related

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Hard to tell what happened. Hopefully you can get it figured out so it doesn't happen again.

I would take a guess that the excess coral mucous and cloudy water caused the skimmer to go nuts, or one thing caused both issues. The tank die off and the skimmer going nuts. I don't think the skimmer was the cause of the tank going down hill in that short amount of time.

6. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    No i dont think it was the skimmer either somethimg made the skimmer go crazy. Oh well so you guys think doimg water chamges every other day for a week is alittle excessive? Or just leave it be for a week and let the tank do its thing?

7. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I do small water changes every day :)

I see no problem in doing small water changes daily

8. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
  9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I'd keep doing water changes and running carbon and watching how things in the tank look. Also check your basic params. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. You may have had a big spike, and water changes will help get those back in check too.

10. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Did the fish you were keeping in the sump get sucked into the return pump? That would cause all of the issues u described.

11. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    My sump from left chamber to right chamber is
    1. HOB filter just incase i need to start a qt
    Drainline from the DT
    10lbs liverock
    Skimmer
    Abs the fish its yellow with purple stripe down the back
    Chamber 2. Heater and cheato
    Chamber 3. Return pump.

I cleaned the return pump yesterday i didnt see him on the pump mauve he died in the rocks. When i get home from work ill pull the LR and skimmer see if i can find him.

12. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any update on the tank???

13. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Yea so when it happened i pulled all the fish and coral that was for sure dead out of the tank. And put the rest that was barely hanging on for dear life into the small 10 gallons nano i have set up. I did a couple of water changes the first week and ran carbon like crazy to get whatever is in their out. After about 3 weeks I slowly added some coral to see how it would react some things liked it other didn't. But about two weeks ago I added a sps colony and its growing so whatever was in the water is gone now. Never found the cause. But this is what it looks like now.nothing to fancy

Attached Files:

14. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    At least you pulled threw the heart ach. amd you kept your chin up. @MadManMadrid@MadManMadrid

15. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Oh trust me it was a close call of selling it or not haha. I didn't want to wait for it to do its thing again. But hey that's what this hobbie is waiting. But im glad i stuck with it i love my tank

16. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    looks good man nice aquascape and tank

17. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
  18. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    oh thats cool your gf does this two.

19. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Internal or external skimmer

20. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    It's a internal skimmer but i have a tube going from the collection cup to a empty liquor bottle. @abower@abower