1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Test Kit Discrepancies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StormyMoe, Nov 25, 2017.

1. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I've been using Salifert test kits for Mg and Ca for about 9 months now but picked up Red Sea's kit with Mg, Ca, and Alk from BRS this week while they were having their sale. Did my first tests with Red Sea today and was pleased to have the alk match between it and my Hanna, but the Mg and Ca readings are different between the tests. Red Sea has my Mg and Ca at 1520 and 400 respectively while Salifert is 1365 and 425; both Salifert kits are about 2 months old and aren't expired.

I did notice the Mg #3 solution from Red Sea has white "pieces" of something floating around in it, anyone know if this is normal? Everything in my tank is looking good minus a devil's hand whose polyps aren't fully extending but I've adjusted my flow to give it more and they seem to be out more frequently. Anyone else had similar experiences with these kits? I'd really like to avoid purchasing a 3rd kit...

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I wouldn't purchase a third kit, it won't help at all determining which one is correct.

My red sea test kit always tested real high in Mg. I never did think it was right. Didn't dose anything for Mg and the salt I was using shouldn't have been high in Mg. I switched to salifert and got better numbers so I just went with them LOL. Which one was "right"? I have no idea.

Unless you get some kind of standard solution to check your results against I don't know that there is anyway to tell which one is giving more accurate results. You could also send some water away for a test. I'm sure the equipment they use for those is much more accurate.

3. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I could never get consistent readings on MG with a Red sea kit. I switched to Salifert and got more credible results. Was always going to do some kind of mail in lab test and compare but have not gotten that done yet.

4. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like there may be a theme here with Red Sea Mg kits...I noticed BRS has Triton test kits on sale but they're currently out of stock, I'll keep an eye on them and see if I can snag one if they come back in stock. Given that everything seems to be doing well in the tank I'm not too worried and will just stick with my Salifert, especially for Mg.

5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    For what it's worth, my Salifert Mg tests have always been amazingly close to Triton lab results. Can't say the same for my Salifert Ca tests unfortunately.

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Have you found a Ca test that gets similar results to the triton?

7. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I haven't, but I haven't been searching either. Unfortunately Salifert is the only Ca test that I actually like. When I was trying to find that perfect test kit for calcium 5 or so years back I definitely preferred Salifert... it seemed to give the most consistent results and was the easiest to perform.