1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Mini Crisis HELP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Mar 15, 2017.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea what is going on with my tank this week. I lost my coral beauty yesterday.
    She was fat and healthy and showed no signs of stress. She seemed to have kicked the bucket literally overnight with no indication as to why (have pictures if anyone wants to examine them).

In the past two days I have also lost about a dozen snails and all of my corals are closed up and looking pretty rough. All my lps have significant receding tissue. I have two mini carpets that are also looking pretty crappy. Something is obviously very wrong in my tank.

I tested all my parameters and some are a little low, but nothing major. My tank has always run a little on the dirty side.
    Salinity - 1.025
    Temp - 78-79
    ph - 8.07
    dkh - 8
    ammonia - 0
    nitrite - 0
    nitrate - 10-15
    calcium - 420
    I didn't have enough regent to test for phosphate, so I guess that COULD be a problem, but I don't see that being the reason as I keep up on GFO replacement.

The only additions to the tank in the past 6+ months were a variety of snails about 3 weeks ago, and no changes in the tank itself as far as re-scaping or agitating the sand bed. No air fresheners or cleaner has been sprayed. I don't have kids that could have thrown something in the tank.

Water changes happen at least once a month at about 30-35%. Every water change I also change out the GFO in my reactor. I also run carbon, which get's changed out at water change as well. Filter socks are swapped out every other week or so ( I try to stay on better top of that and change more often, just doesn't happen).

In the process of looking for my meter to see if there is any stray current running through the tank, but I looked at all equipment in the tank and nothing seems to be broken or letting moisture in.

What am I missing?! Help!

**I do have a second tank up and running that is cycled and is coming down from the ugly stage..It has a blue headed wrasse and about 15 pounds of live rock in it. Would it be wise to move over all the coral I can or would that just cause more stress and further damage.

2. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Well I moved all the coral that I could over to my second tank. I was thinking that second tank would eventually be a nice grow out tank anyways, just didn't think it would be this soon. Was it a hasty decision to move them over...? Maybe. But with as fast as things seem to be going south and not having the slightest idea as to why. I took the chance. My deciding factor was the brittle starfish. I can't remember the last time I saw them out and about, let alone during lights on. Well now they are ALL out and about, which I find very odd. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but there is something very wrong going on in the tank.

I can live with losing a fish or two. Would be a bummer, but I'd get over it. Now if I lost all my coral too, I'd be devastated. I was naive and a noob when I bought them and paid WAY too much for WAY too small of pieces. And now they are all nice and full. So they have somewhat of a special place in my heart and are a reminder to not be stupid again lol!
    Here's to hoping I get this **** figured out!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    When you moved the corals over did you dip them or try to clean them off prior to introducing them into the new tank?

Hoping you can get this sorted out, that's a scary situation.

4. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Just guessing here but that sounds like a heavy metal (copper, iron, etc.) or other build up. Could be leaching from something. Recommend changing some water ASAP and maybe turning off the GFO for a while. How does the RODI or whatever water you use test out. Could be something getting through that.

Contact @xroads@xroads. He will know what is going on or can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think Stew is right. I would take apart all your pumps & power heads, you probably have a cracked impeller or magnet leaching into the water.

Start some strong carbon & GFO & find the source.

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    I agree with everyone else sounds like something is leaching from somewhere. Like Craig said possibly a broken impeller magnet. I would take every pump apart for a inspection. Also fresh carbon and water changes. That's about all you can do at this point.

Bill

7. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Long story short-ish. Inspected heaters, magnets, power heads, and couldn't figure out what was going on. Everything was in working condition and seemed to be no cracks or defects. This past week while trying to figure what was wrong, algae came out of nowhere and just overtook everything (I'm assuming from a bunch of die off). I lost a total of three fish and the majority of my coral, which I didn't have a TON of, but still. Bummer. So I made the choice to do a complete tank tear down and start over. Which has crossed my mind a few times so far this year.

Well I figured out it was the damn return pump (which I didn't check before-didn't even think about the return pump honestly). I'm assuming. Last piece of equipment I disconnected and pulled it out and lo and behold....rust. :'(
    So now what? I didn't plan on getting out of the hobby, just doing a complete redo of my tank, sump, and stand. But if there is rust on my return pump, does that mean it's no longer good, even though it works perfectly?
    Not a whole lot of rust, but rust is rust.

Photo Mar 24, 12 21 31 PM.jpg

8. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Glad you were able to discover the source of the heavy metals in your tank.

I would assume that if you were able to seal off the oxidization, the pump may still be useful in your tank. Covering it with epoxy, resin, etc may be a solution to salvage it. However a concern I would have is that while that may be the only rust you see, there could be more on the inside and it will manifest itself in other parts of the pump not covered.

9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    How confident are you that it's just the screws rusting and not the impeller?

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Looks like a MAG pump, I hate those things

11. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    As of right now I have no idea. I'm still in the process of moving everything down to the basement....Once I get done cleaning everything up, I plan on taking it apart and taking a look at the inside to get a better idea and go from there... and yes, it is a mag pump.

Side note...Had to go run a quick errand, just got back and man my entry room smells RIPE! Crazy how a running tank doesn't smell...but once you shut everything down and start tearing down and pulling stuff out...yikes! lol

12. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    For me there is no question, that pump would go straight in the garbage. Rust spreads. If it has already done so much damage why risk this happening again?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I would invest in a better pump in the first place. Maybe keep it around to pump out old saltwater or such. You always have to be careful with them in the first place because they make two different pumps that look the same but one is for ponds and the other for saltwater use. Here is a link to the pond-master pump. They look the same but not for saltwater.
    Pondmaster Pondmaster Pond-Mag Magnetic Drive Water Pump Pond Water Garden Pumps

14. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Oh wow I always thought those were identical. I'm pretty sure I ran the pond version on one of my old systems for years. It's got a ceramic impeller... what else could be different? I can't imagine they actually use titanium screws in the marine version.

Speaking of which, I'm going to try replacing the screws on my jebao return pump with titanium screws since they are already rusting... we'll see how it works out. I was concerned enough about the rust that I just sent my first water sample into Triton to see what kinds of heavy metals may be in my system now. And yes I am aware of the irony of spending $45 on titanium screws plus $50 on a water test to deal with a $130 pump.

15. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Just curious what a person can do to cure issue with heavy metals. My glass scraper rusted. Is it just doing water changes or?

16. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I believe the pumps are the same other than the screws, the shaft in the impeller. The easiest way to tell the difference is the pond master ones have a very long cord.

17. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Depends on the metal. GAC, GFO, and aluminum based phosphate absorbers can bind various metals. There are other products out there that can bind metals as well (polyfilter bonds iron and copper triton detox bonds "unwanted metals"). I think you need to have a good idea of which metals may be in your system though.

If it's just some light rusting on your scraper that you use from time to time I don't think I'd worry about it. Unless you left it in a low volume system.

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    A slight amount of rust from a small screw probably isn't going to be cause too many issues in a large system. Magnets rusting out seem to be the big culprit of a massive tank decline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Stainless steel scraper in a 350 gal system. Doesn't sound like I have much to worry about. But still good information to know

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious to see what it looks like behind the cover of the pump. Please share when you open it up.