1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Tank causing issues for Air Conditioner??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek34, May 29, 2018.

1. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everybody,

So according to the air conditioner repair people my 120 gal tank in my living room is creating too much humidity for out side unit air conditioner to properly cool the house. I don't know that I buy this. The temp in the house keeps slowing climbing as the day goes on. Has anybody had this issue?

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Yes I did when my house was brand new. I had no tank at the time but I have tall ceilings and big windows and when they calculated it they undersized it so they put in a bigger unit. Your tank wouldn’t be putting that much humidity back in your house. If by chance it is place a dehumidifier in the room and see if air works better

Sent from my iPhone via App

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    It sure doesn't seem like it should be. I plan on trying a dehumidifier. I'm concerned the exhaust from it may be too counter productive.

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Even if you put it in the basement it is still removing humidity assuming you have central air

5. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    They say that the air being blown into the house from the AC is 55 degrees. How can I be receiving 55 degree air and the house temp continue to climb to just shy of 80 degrees?

6. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Truth be told just yesterday I overflowed my RODI storage bin by quiet a bit and soaked a chunk of the carpet in the basement. Where is the air typically drawn from that goes to the AC? Could the added moisture from this be a big cause in the issue?

7. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    That was exactly what mine did and they concluded it was undersized. I had a 2.5 ton unit and replaced it with a 3 ton unit and never had a problem again.

8. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the feed back @Roman@Roman . I know there are a lot of people out there with tanks at least as big as mine. Have any of you had any issues like this? From what I'm getting from @Roman@Roman my AC may have been just big enough for the house but given the additional humidity from the RODI spill and the 120 tank upstairs I have exceeded it's limit perhaps....?

9. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Hmm. Do you have tops on your tank? If not, I would think adding some could cut down on evap and help the overall humidity situation in the house.

10. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    You could get a humidity meter. If you have higher humidity your unit is working harder and could fall behind. I currently rent and the unit is on the smaller end. We have 3000 square feet with vaulted ceilings and I have a 300, 90, 90, 60 gallon tanks all uncovered. I run a dehumidifier 24/7 and I haven’t had a problem keeping the place cool.

11. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I would also check the unit outside and make sure nothing is clogging up the condenser. Also check the filters. The company should have checked that, but worth checking since some places can be sketchy.

12. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ok. I will do that. Thanks @Buku@Buku !

13. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I do have glass tops. I have been keeping them partially open though to help keep the temp in the tank down where I want it since the house is getting warmer. Kind of a catch 22 going on here. I really think now that the issue started when I had some overflow on my RODI water. That put me behind the ball on humidity since it soaked some carpet in the basement. I'm hoping once I get that completely gone I will be back within a working range... We will see I guess. Thanks for all the feedback.

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes I did, but I also had 1500 gallons of water, not 120.

Feel your ceiling too. If it feels warm, you may have inadequate ceiling insulation or venting.

15. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Ok I will do that. Thanks @xroads@xroads !

16. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    If you don't have an ATO system one way to see if it's the tank is the amount of evaporation. I have a line on my tanks that I marked with a Sharpie so I know how much water is evaporating. Spring and fall are usually not too bad but when the heat or AC is on the water level drops in a hurry. I can easily replace 3 gallons a day when the systems are running and the humidity feels high in the house.

17. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    How was it before the tank, or is this a new house for you? How old is the house?
    Big tanks put out a ton of heat and ton of humidity into the house, but If you know it was adequate cooling before, I can't believe the addition of 120 gallon tank is going to be the difference from the AC keeping up and not.
    Something doesn't sound right, I might be looking for another opinion on the issue.

My 250 gallon in the basement actually made the basement warmer than the upstairs year round. The extra heat and humidity was nice in the winter, not so much in the summer, but my AC never had a problem keeping up. I also had to run a dehumidifier year round.

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Definitely this, I overlooked that last summer after doing some concrete grinding in the basement. Thought I had the room closed off good but it wasn't enough. Week or so later the Air conditioner started running constantly and wasn't blowing very cold air. A-coil was freezing up on me. Didn't think of the filter right away because it was damn near brand new, but when I pulled it out it was real obvious what was going on.

19. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    This will be the 3rd summer in this house. I've not had any problems at all in the past summers. Do you guys think the RODI spill could be the biggest issue here? It's been like 3 days since the spill and the carpet is still pretty damp. I have 2 fans and 2 dehumidifiers running in the area of the spill. The size of the wet carpet area is probably 5'x5'. I picked up a couple humidity measuring devices yesterday and set those up. One in the basement right by the area of the spill and the other right on the tank stand ledge upstairs. Both are reading 50 - 51% humidity. This falls within the comfort range which is <60%. So this measurement gives me pause. What do you guys think?

20. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Not having problems in the past, and your humidity sensors reading actually pretty low for this time of year and what you are describing, I wouldn't think the tank would be the issue. 120 gallons may make the system kick on a little more often, but I really don't think it would cause the system not to keep up entirely.
    I'd call another company and get a second opinion on the situation.